Diferent types of Tap Connectors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain for me, in simple terms, what the diferent types of tap connector are please?

I am hearing terms like Compression, Push fit, etc?

Is it sensible for me when replacing 2 taps, to install a flexible connector to the water pipe, and the other end to the new taps, rather than trying to use a brass connector which seems awfully hard given the limited access under the sink?

Are there any dangers I need to watch for? Do I use PTFE tape?

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber but compression and push fit are also types of pipe connections

push fit you literaly push it on ( so i believe) and compression you do u tight with spanners.

p1070954_l.jpg
copper pushfit coupler

p1070740_l.jpg
brass compession coupler

to tighten tap nuts (underside) you use one of these

p1095804_l.jpg

It sounds as though you're looking for a crash course in plumbing within one topic!

In answer to your first question, there are two types: ones that make a good seal, and ones that don't. For the former, you need hardly any more than hand tightness; for the latter, not even Herculian strength will make a poor seal into a good one.

Start by examining the tap tails - many have a lovely flat underside; others have a deliberately conical end (on the inside). Let this shape guide your choice of fitting.

Brass tap connectors seal with a fibre washer, requiring a good amount of land on the end of tail in order to make a good seal.

The latest Hep2o tap connectors have a conical rubber washer, which suit even those tails that have very little flat 'land', as well as those that have a conical end.

There are also some spiffing John Guest "female coupler" fittings with such a soft rubber washer that JG specify "no tools" for tightening up - no need for a basin wrench - but the tap tails need to be the right shape for these.

You shouldn't need to use PTFE - I only do this when having to re-make a seal using an existing soldered on tap connector, in a confined or dark space, like a loft.

Regarding the coupling onto the services - it doesn't matter what type of fitting you use; pushfit (easiest to assemble and, more importantly, disassemble), compression (demountable, but you need space for the spanners), soldered (cheap, but you need to remove the pipework and do it away from underneath the bath).

Don't create a situation where you have to struggle - if you do what's easiest then you have the best chance of making it a good job. A plumber who's sweating and swearing is someone who hasn't thought enough about the job.

Softus said:
. A plumber who's sweating and swearing is someone who hasn't thought enough about the job.

or some one who just sat on a hot blowlamp :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of you for cracking information!!

I've got the taps, and I've bought 2 flexible tap connectors, about 15cms long, 15mmx1/2inch - I was assured that these dimensions would fit my existing water pipes.

I think I'll shorten the existing pipe and attach the flexi, which I'm guessing will makeit easier to connect to the new taps, as there will be flexibility in the confined space under the sink.

Any other tips - keep 'em coming!! I'll have a go tomorrow, now where's the stopcocks....... :LOL:

Toonlad said:
Any other tips - keep 'em coming!! I'll have a go tomorrow, now where's the stopcocks....... :LOL:

get one of
p1032956_l.jpg
these to cut the pipes (great for confined spaces)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back