Connecting 2 taps with Y connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have very strange case for the moment.
I have basin in the toilet.
This basin has one tap with inlet of 1/2" down the basin.
This tape was connected to water source of 3/8" outlet using the a non flexible pipe.
I want to connect the a new tap below the basin, so I did the following:
1) I got the following stuff:
a) 1 flexible metallic pipe of 50cm, one side is 3/8" and the other side is 1/2"
b) Y Connector
c) Another tap.
d) Teflon tap
2) I connected the 3/8" side of the flexible metallic pipe to water outlet using a teflon tap.
3) I connected the Y-Connector to old tap (below the basin) using teflon.
4) I connected the other side of the flexible metallic pipe to the Y connector using teflon tap.
5) I connected the new tap to the outlet of the Y connector using teflon tap.
The problem that when I open the water source, the water starts to drip in the Y connector from the old tap size, it seems that there is certain type of leak between the old tape, and Y connector only appears when the water is pushed upwards, how can I stop this dripping, as I tight it it very well.
Please help me in my question/ :confused: :oops:
* All the pipes, and connectors are made of Steel

Sponsored Links
Have you used the washer in the Y conector?
If yes, then you could try undoing the leaking thread, wrape ptfe tape found & re fit.. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN

You mean a washing machin?
No I want to connect a peda to the other tap.
Do you think I have to use silicon?

Do you mean a metallic waher to put it around the screw of the old tap above the Y connector? do I need any rubber?

Sponsored Links
I would expect the Y connector to have been supplied with 3 rubber washers, these are usually pre fitted

edit
Y connector would only come with 1 washer (femail end)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back