How do I cap 15mm tap connectors? Why such a low flow rate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as can be seen in the pic below, I've got a bathroom basin and I'd like to replace it with a vanity unit. While I'm carrying out the work, what do I use to plug the 15mm flexible tap connectors?

The other question I have regards flow rate. The basin pictured is that of our ensuite bathroom. The flow rate, both from the hot and cold taps, is much lower than that of our family bathroom's basin taps. Both are connected to 15mm pipes. Both are fed by a cistern in the loft right above. Both have mixer taps (though different makes). The one pictured, in our ensuite, is connected to flexible tap connectors whereas the one in the family bathroom is connected directly to the 15mm metal pipes. What can make a diffence in flow rate and can I do something about it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If both of the basins are on the same floor level it is probably due to the fact that the ensuite has high pressure mixer taps fitted (quarter turn ceramic) and the family room has low pressure mixers.
If on the other hand the ensuite is on a floor above then the pressure will be lower because of the reduced head.

Thanks. They are both on the same floor and pictured below. The first pic is that of the family tap which has a decent flow rate. The second is that of the en-suite tap which as a low flow rate. I wish to replace the latter with a entire new basin and tap. What can I do to ensure a better flow rate? Tap choice?

I'd also very much appreciate a reply to my other question regarding capping the flexible tap connectors (see initial post).

Cheers

Family bathroom (good flow rate):

En-suite (low flow rate):

Sponsored Links
The "bore" of most flexible tap connectors is very small, so they will restrict the flow rate a lot on low pressure supplies. As you've found, copper all the way to the tap usually gives much better results - though requires more skill and time to do.

Choice of tap is also important, as mentioned above. A lot of cheap, imported ones are for high pressure supplies only.

I would install 15mm 1/4-turn isolating valves if not already fitted, so that you can work on the plumbing. Buy "full bore" ones rather than the normal sort. Again, these won't restrict the flow like the standard sort would.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back