Difference between boiler and cylinder temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

What is the difference between the temperature displayed on my wall mounted domestic boiler
and the temperature on the cylinder upstairs please?

Nice weekend to all of you

Sponsored Links
The gauge on the boiler is showing the temperature of water in the primary circuit just after the heat exchanger.
The gauge on the cylinder is showing the temperature of the stored secondary water in the cylinder (thats the water that comes out of your hot taps).

Sponsored Links
Not done and dusted after all, my wife looks at the boiler and tells me that its ready for my bath. Should she be looking at the cylinder gauge instead?

Kep well both of you

Never. What about my question?

Best regards to you Polesapart.

Never. What about my question?

Best regards to you Polesapart.

The problem is obviously keeping you awake :)

The cylinder temperature will always lag behind the boiler temperature and the cylinder temperature can never be heated up to the primary loop temperature.

On my system I have the boiler set to 80C when providing heat to the HW cylinder, but the cylinder set to be satisfied at 60C - which it manages reasonably quickly. Were I to set it higher than 60C, then it would take a very long time to satisfy it.

My boiler has an handy LCD display. The display shows when CH and/or HW is available. When the boiler is actively providing heat to one or the other, its radiator or tap symbol flashes. When the symbol stops flashing, the requirement for heat is satisfied. So in my case, I could open the boiler cupboard, glance at the display and see whether the HW cylinder were ready for a bath. Alternatively, I could go to my fancy digital room temperature/ timer remote control widget pane and set it to display the actual HW cylinder temperature.

You could use a wireless remote temp display for the cylinder if that's what your wife uses to gauge when the hot water is hot enough. Just use the cylinder stat retaining cable to hold it in place next to it. I use one to tell me the outside temp and the temp in my freezer in the garage.

61H4SSJjKPL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Not wireless, but I have one of these fitted on my freezer which is in the utility room and it can be heard around most of the house. I once left the door ajar - I have it set to alarm if the freezer temperature rises above -13C, but it can be set to alarm on rise or fall in temperature -50 to +70C. It samples the temperature every 60 seconds, then bleeps a few loud bleeps if triggered, then silent for 60 seconds. Single AAA battery, which lasts for ever with 3m long probe wire.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/511147805 - I paid half that, so worth shopping around.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Not done and dusted after all, my wife looks at the boiler and tells me that its ready for my bath. Should she be looking at the cylinder gauge instead?

Assuming you have a well-insulated cylinder (if not, why not?), why not just time the hot water to be on from 7am to 11pm? The heat lost is negligible, and may even be useful if the cylinder's in an airing cupboard.

Sounds like a lot less faff, and you will have hot water whenever you open the tap...

Kep well both of you
How about run a tap?

my wife looks at the boiler and tells me that its ready for my bath.

My wife calls and tells me when it's time to come home from the pub... Usually when I've just got there... Her telepathic talents are legendary in this respect. :cautious::LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back