difference between off the shelf paint vs mixing in store?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - is there a difference between the Dulux paint they mix there and then in store versus off the shelf Dulux tins? is quality the same?
i'm guessing since it's the same brand shouldn't it be the same quality

and you'd get it mixed to achieve a certain colour you can't get off the shelf?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
There is nothing wrong with either, but there will be very subtle differences in shade because of the distribution of the pigments blended to make the colour.
Another thing worth noting is off the shelf will have a batch number, it is important to use tins from the same batches as again there can be slight differences with the shade.
Also when having a colour made up make sure all the paint you require is done on the same machine because again the tinting machine can be quite individual and deliver slightly different recipes.

Retail paints are designed to go on the wall straight out of the tin and are of less quality than trade labelled which is thicker to allow thinning to taste and the paint is better pigmented with greater opacity.

Personal opinion is i think its best to buy off the shelf if you're going for retail paints, i don't think there's any difference in quality but tinting can be problematic as i've explained
Hope that answers your question

The mixed-in-store Dulux paints tend to be their Tailor Made range and I think these are only available as Trade paints.

Apart from the differences outlined by dcdec above, you have access to a much wider range of shades than you do with the off the shelf ones.

Sponsored Links
The "In store" Dulux paints are made for the retail market. In the B&Q near me, they mix Dulux paint for you in the Trade range. This has extra ingriedients that make it better. If it has "Trade" on the side of Dulux it will be the best one available. But also as dcdec says, to make sure you have it mixed on the same machine due to clour variations. Not all B&Q's will mix in Trade though. Dont know why mine does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back