Difference plastering Metal Lath vs Platerboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please could someone explain to me the differences between plastering on plasterboard on a ceiling, compared to plastering on metal lath on a ceiling.

Thanks very much
R

Sponsored Links
Plastering a lath ceiling is a lot more involved requires skill and copious amounts of material.
Normally a coat of bonding to block out, and 2 straightening coats followed by the finish....

Skimming gyproc, tape the joints apply skim and polish up.

Sponsored Links
There is a huge difference between plastering onto plasterboard, and plastering onto wire lath. For a start, plasterboard is already flat and secure, so you're skimming/plastering onto a ready made surface. Plastering onto wire lath is far more difficult. The wire lath must be very taught, ( no sags), also, the wooden joists, studs or any other timber the lath is fixed to, must be covered with a strip of say plastic dpc, thick bitumin paint, (which i prefer), or anything else that stops the timber absorbing moisture, swelling up, and causing cracks.
Starting off coating onto wire lath takes time,, don't try to spread the bonding, render or any other material. You have to build it up,, build it up slowly, and don't push too hard on trowel/wire lath, otherwise the plaster etc will go right through the lath,, it's far easier to apply by working back in to what you're putting on, if you know what i mean. Once you have the first coat of bonding on, scratch it and leave it to set. Once set, it then becomes much easier to go over the ceiling/walls again, building up the float coat. You might want to set a few dots and a string line to form screeds to work from, but that's getting a bit too technical. As you can see, there's a lot involved overall, like Alastair said,, a lot of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back