Different BTU's for same size rads?

D

deajam

Hi everyone. First post here.

For ease of collection I compared the radiators at B&Q, Screwfix and Wickes. I looked at a 600 x 1200 double and the BTU output was

B&Q 7026btu.
Screwfix 7083btu.
Wickes 7958btu.

All Wickes btu's seems higher than most manufacturers for the respective sizes.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
The output from a radiator is related to the temperature difference (Delta T ?) between the radiator and the room it is fitted in.

If the temperature difference is higher, the output will appear to be higher, so you need to know about the conditions under which the output was measured.

Sponsored Links
wickes rads are karep
Any elaboration on that rather lacking post?
The output from a radiator is related to the temperature difference (Delta T ?) between the radiator and the room it is fitted in.

If the temperature difference is higher, the output will appear to be higher, so you need to know about the conditions under which the output was measured.
Thank you I will try to find out the test details.
Hope your design is not that critical :LOL:
I don't quite understand? The room needs a 7896btu rad so if I buy the B&Q one it will be under powered by 800btu's but the Wickes one will be fine.

The outputs quoted are based on a Delta T of 50°C.

All radiators have been manufactured and tested in accordance with BSEN 442.

I too have noticed that the Wickes radiators are seemingly much more powerful than others. Is this based on some design or manufacturing breakthrough or are they exaggerating?

For example, I want the most powerful radiator for a 1000mm wall space, the Wickes 600 x 1000mm radiator is quoted at 6631 btu, whereas the B and Q one is only 5856 btu. B and Q also does a 700 x 1000mm one but at 6466 even that is less than the smaller Wickes one.

Are the Wickes values believable or marketing puff?

For example, I want the most powerful radiator for a 1000mm wall space, the Wickes 600 x 1000mm radiator is quoted at 6631 btu, whereas the B and Q one is only 5856 btu. B and Q also does a 700 x 1000mm one but at 6466 even that is less than the smaller Wickes one.

Are the Wickes values believable or marketing puff?

Different methods for testing the heat output can account for over 11% of a difference which would account for the figures you are quoting.

the wickes rads are quoted using delta T 60.

they are roughly the same output as the others. stelrad k2 600 x 1200 will give 7092 at delta T 50

You could always fit a 700 x 1200 k2 these give out 8029

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back