Different circuits in a grid switch

Well, I will be using a 30A Wylex plug-in MCB (they are equivalent to fuse-wire ratings, from what I have seen). I know Wylex CUs are meant to be rubbish, and the fact this is only a fuse-box unit means it is heading towards rewiring (about 18 years old, so only 7 years off a full rewire). But the three main appliances off 30A should still be fine (total drain comes to less than 30A). Although I just came across an interesting item on my Hotpoint user manual:

The Energy Save option reduces the amount of electricity used during your wash by reducing the water temperature by 10°C.

Well durrr, obviously if I select "40 degree wash" I want a 30 degree wash :rolleyes:

I am thinking about MCBs compared to fuse wire: in plumbing, the idea is that you put overflows in inconvenient places to annoy people (e.g. drip next to the front door) increase the chances that someone will fix the problem. In electrics, we have gone from very annoying fuse-wire cartridges to incredibly convenient MCB and RCBO modules. Whilst this may improve safety due to cut-outs occurring quicker (does it?), people are less likely to fix the problem if it occurs roughly once a week and can be fixed by a button press. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Also everyone who has a 6A mcb lighting cicuit has been conditioned to the idea that mcb tripping all the time is perfectly normal. Whatever that says about convenience or not, it certainly stops people bothering to investigate when something trips.

By the way, whoever said wiring only lasts 25 years? PVC is supposed to be good for 100

Damocles said:
By the way, whoever said wiring only lasts 25 years? PVC is supposed to be good for 100

That's good to know, although I am sure I have read that a full rewire every 25 years is recommended. I don't know if that advice pre-dates PVC cables.

Looking at my 18-19 year old PVC cables, I really can't see anything wrong with them. Almost all of my cabling is clipped to joists so is easy to inspect and certainly visibly they look beautiful (as beautiful as T&E can be, anyway!). The PVC still feels supple (oo-err! ;) ). I haven't attempted an insulation test on them, that is the acid test.

Other than the fact I need a big grid and a couple of circuits installed to the kitchen, the only thing wrong with my electrics is the accessories all have paint on them from 18 years of half-a*sed decorating. Plus they are slightly yellowed.

Sponsored Links
Paint scrapes off that hard white stuff quite well. Surprisingly, they may also scrub up quite well to improve the colour. Though I have not noticed any significant colour loss in the 25 year old sockets round here. The 40 year old ones are a bit yellow. But maybe they always were. The nice wooden back boses are doing fine too.

I do think that faults creep into an installation so it should be checked. It falls behind current regulations, which may merit upgrading. People like to change the fittings just to decorate. But otherwise we are still experiencing how long PVC will last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back