Different sands for rendering

Xen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've just finished the first layer of render on our garage with a 4:1 ratio of sand to cement with a liquid plasticiser. I used wickes sharp sand for this layer since it said this was suitable for external rendering on the sacks.

I'm now doing the second layer, and want a smoother finish. The thing with the sharp sand was it was very gritty and quite difficult to work with for an amateur :oops:

I've just done a test patch using wickes building sand rather than the sharp sand as it is much finer... it applied like a dream, but on the sack it said it was suitable for mortar mix and interior render, didn't mention anything about using it externally. Is there any particular reason why i can't use this externally?

If i can, i would much rather use this since it is much easier to apply and gives a better texture.

Sponsored Links
If the sand is to soft you may get sagging and shrinkage cracks.

Thanks for the reply :)

Is this something that would happen during setting or long-term? I.e. if once its set, the render is still good, can i assume the sand is probably OK to use for the rest of the render?

If you put on in any thickness you may have sagging problems and any cracking would be there by the next morning.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back