Difficulties adding intermediate switch

Sponsored Links
No.

It's a switch wired with both conductors in the same terminal, or in terminals which are never connected together.

Never heard of a 0-way switch before - but have got a 2 gang intermediate switch, one of which will be wired as intermediate, and one as a 2-way.

The Wiki on here, and good ol' google serves us well for such things!

I've not had time to try the suggestions yet - but will report back when I have!

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
Never heard of a 0-way switch before - but have got a 2 gang intermediate switch, one of which will be wired as intermediate, and one as a 2-way.
Don't worry - he was just trying to be 'clever' (silly?). He was suggesting that a "0-way switch" would (by extrapolation from 1-way and 2-way ones) have no useful function - since, as he said, it would mean that the two conductors were always joined, or never joined, regardless of the position of the switch!

Kind Regards, John

I meant that as well as being able to wire an intermediate as a 2-way, you could also wire it as a 1-way or a 0-way.

You can also wire a 2-way or 1-way switch as the latter.

It's a perfectly valid extension of the naming system -

A 2-way switch has 2 working positions
A 1-way switch has 1 working position
A 0-way switch has no working positions.

I'm sure there will be posts in this form from people who have wired their n-way switch as a 0-way.

It's a perfectly valid extension of the naming system - ...
It is, but I don't think that makes it any less 'silly' - and, as you will have seen, you succeeded in confusing the OP, if not also others! I suppose you could use similar (technically correct!) 'extrapolatory' logic to define what you meant by, for example, a 0-phase electricity supply or a 0-gang accessory :)
I'm sure there will be posts in this form from people who have wired their n-way switch as a 0-way.
This is true, but I still don't think the "0-way" terminology is helpful!!

Kind Regards, John

I suppose you could use similar (technically correct!) 'extrapolatory' logic to define what you meant by, for example, a 0-phase electricity supply or a 0-gang accessory :)
I can do better than that for the latter item - here's a photo of one:

screenshot_56.jpg

I can only assume the cables don't actually go where you think they do.
Correct answer!

I tried the set-up shown in the +/-/= diagrams and it was just weird - switches only worked when the others were in certain positions?!

so I thought this is odd... and pulled all the cables out ... and found another junction box hidden in the wall! tut tut.

So what I thought was the circuit cable was in fact the power from the CU. Which is why the 1-way switch popped the MCB.

I ended up replacing the entire lighting circuit for that part of the house using a (labelled and accessible) junction box - and am pleased to say I have made one more step to removing the rats nest of junction boxes.

There will be no more hidden/difficult to access junction boxes, and all the ones I'm installing are being labelled too - so future amendments will slowly get easier!

Thanks for all the help

lights out!

whitling2k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back