Digging new water and gas trench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into a 1930s semi property with lead water pipes and an old capped gas line. As such planning to dig a new trench and lay a new MDPE water pipe to the correct specifications, then once signed off backfill this and get the gas company to lay the gas line in the same trench. I'm happy with the main specifications and regs etc.

My question is, where in the picture would you advise digging the trench? Either way it's through a concrete driveway and will pass under a rainwater drain. Itll either enter the property though a small porch or through the garage. One option is to expose the current pipes and follow that line but that'll impede digging and involve digging though or under the tiled porchway to get to the foundations. Other option is to go to the right of the existing lines, dig through the garage floor and then turn 90 degrees and enter through the side wall. This will involve a bit more digging though concrete and possibly more fiddling to get it through the wall. Do you think the water or gas companies will have any issue with either?

I'm hoping at 75cm depth I'll be able to pass under the foundations and not need to drill through it. Failing that I wonder if I could come up higher once in the porch or garage and just knock out a brick or two to get into the house. I'm assuming this would be okay as long as it's insulated.

Any advice appreciated!

Jack

IMG_20230103_134954.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230103_134954.jpg
    IMG_20230103_134954.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
We use insuduct to bring new water services into building saves digging under footings and digging through internal floors.
Your gas provider will probably want to fit an external meter box.

For the water the trench needs to aim for the existing on-street stoptap (unless things have changed you need to dig to your boundary, water board will do the bit on the street).

For the water the trench needs to aim for the existing on-street stoptap (unless things have changed you need to dig to your boundary, water board will do the bit on the street).
Okay that's interesting. So however I aim it the trench will end within a foot or two or the stoptap. Would you say it needs to stop fully in line with it instead? Or would the utilities company be happy to dig their bit as a bit of a bend at the end?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ask them (the water board that is). They'll have to dig out the existing (lead) connection to disconnect it, they'll probably want to dig as short a distance as possible to your boundary (unless there's other stuff under the pavement in the way).

Surely the gas provider is replacing the gas pipe - in which case they will decide the route etc - they may even mole it.

Water, do the easiest for you, doesn't matter how long it is or where it enters inside if it suits you - I've only dealt with lead replacements needing a new communication pipe so I'd ask your water provider for advice on boundary termination with an existing stoptap - certainly if the old supply is common you'll get all new but you'll need to maintain the old lead to any other properties supplied by it.

Gas people will probably mole it, they'll dig a launch and reception pit at either end, and mole will (hopefully) head in a straight line between the two. Service can just be pulled through once mole has finished. Meter box will need to be external, not allowed any gas pipework internally that cannot be isolated now.

Water, as said above, decide on entry point to property, and use an 'Insuduct' to bring supply up and through the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back