Mains water pipe uncovered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. in my front garden i have just knocked down an old concrete block shed due to bad cracking and poor build quality. my plan was to dig good foundations and rebuild. it is only a small structure, 6ft wide by 3ft deep and 5ft tall.

whilst digging i discovered the incoming water supply running straight through the middle of the trench. the rest of the pipe is buried under a deep flower bed til it gets to the road.

As the pipe is totally inaccessible anyway i have no problem with burying it in the foundations but my dilemma is how i should protect it as it sits just above the hardcore base so will be sitting in the concrete.

i was thinking either a good type of lagging or maybe even box it in with ply.

Could anyone suggest the correct procedure please?

Sponsored Links
Where pipes pass through the trench we sleeve 'em. This involves slitting some plastic rainwater pipe and passing over the water main then wrap the rainwater pipe with duct tape whilst plugging the ends with insulation.

Where pipes run along a trench we then try and move them to the side and protect with a ply shutter.

Water supply pipes should be around 30" down ( or so Severn Trent say).

Too shallow and you risk it freezing in cold spells. If the global warming theory is correct we will get more of them.

Either leave a tap dripping in cold weather or bury it deeper.

Sponsored Links
it looks like its been there a long time so theres no way i want to move it. im very tempted with the sleeving idea its the simplest way.
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back