ew build double garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am preparing to build a double garage from scratch using concrete blocks. 1st I must remove the existing timber frame single asbestos 'shack' and a massive tree that sits on the boundary.

I have arranged for disposal of the asbestos through the council and have permission from my neighbours and council reguarding the tree removal.

As i'm using concrete blocks, I will be digging strip (trench) foundations 1 metre deep (3ft), I will then lay 6-8 inches of hardcore before filling with concrete.

How much concrete do I pour into the excavation- up to 1 block below ground level or fill right up to ground an block up from there? also my neighbour has an elevated garage, should i be worried about disturbing his foundations given theres about a foot gap between his garage an my intended garage?

Any help or advice is much appreciated, thanks guys...will take some pic's of the plot tomorrow an uplaod em if it helps :D

Sponsored Links
I am preparing to build a double garage from scratch using concrete blocks..............I must remove..... a massive tree that sits on the boundary.
I hope you re not on a clay substrate!

I will be digging strip (trench) foundations 1 metre deep (3ft), I will then lay 6-8 inches of hardcore before filling with concrete.
Do not put any hardcore in the foundation trenches. Pour the concrete directly onto the sub soil.

Quote.
a massive tree that sits on the boundary.

No matter what type of ground you are building on, the species and how close to new garage that tree is could cause you a sack full of problems.

Read the post below for more information.
Foundation depth for conserv on clay plz 
Oldun.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back