Garage build - Tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am planning to build a outbuilding/garage which is in rear of garden.

It will be within 30m2 so dont require building regs or planning permission

I have one other concern, my neighbor has a pear tree which is quite large.

I am pretty sure the roots will be in my side of garden and will be exposed when we dig up foundations.

Will that cause any issues when we dig up foundations and fill up with concrete esp when the roots grow in future or anything?

Sponsored Links
Google 'Tree roots near foundations'. Depends how far from your proposed shed the tree is and what the ground is

Hi

i have googled and read it should be 1.8m as im 1-2m away from tree.

When i did my extension there was thick clay so not sure how good or bad this is

But i had originally planned to only dig 700mm as per my earlier thread, but this tree has put breaks on

I spoke to my local building inspector today, and they said i can dig how ever much deep i want, as it does not involve building control. I said with pear tree is there is 700mm ok? his answer was upto you!

that has proper confused me!!!

When i googled it did say over 1m deep i need to dig but is that for attached to property or detached - this was my confusion or both same

Risk of not going deep enough is the roots will end up under your foundations and over time may cause cracking. If you do get this problem it'll have a greater effect than on a house (because your outbuilding will weigh less) but not so much of a concern (you're not living in the place).

Because your shed is small enough to not require PP or building control involvement is really is up to you how well you build it. You might try calling building control and asking them what they'd require if the shed was going to be a bit bigger, you probably already know the answer to that one.

At this stage, going deeper will be a medium expense- it is a pain in the bum I'll grant you, if you do go below a metre you don't want to be doing it by hand and you do need to shutter the trench to prevent collapse. Like BCO said, up to you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, ill rather be safe and just pay extra for foundation, think ill compromise to 1.5m depth than 700mm.

was more worried about concrete than digging as digging will ask the diggers to do but back to drawing boards

thanks

I wouldnt be too worried about a pear tree?? are you sure thats what it is? pear trees even fully mature never get too large??

yep last summer had loads of pears on my garden! was areal pest hundreds was on floor rotting away!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back