Replacing my driveway over rooty ground (DIY)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My driveway has turned into a mudbath this winter. The paving slabs have become loosened by the roots of the tree growing close by.

I want to replace the drive - a spring project - but keep the tree. I'm a competent DIY-er (I refurbish and sell houses as a hobby, have built my own garage, laid patio's etc.) so should be fine with this.

My tree surgeon friend has advised I could take the tree roots up under the driveway without risk of damaging the tree or it falling in high wind, as the main roots are deeper than I'm likely to dig.

My questions:
  1. What's likely to be a good replacement surface to lay? As a DIY project I'm thinking either to re-lay the two lanes of paving slabs (possibly onto a deep foundation of MOT1 & concrete) or look at those plastic grids with gravel. Any other ideas?

2. What's an effective way of clearing tree roots? It's an established tree, 30ft high. I dug out roots for the foundations of my garage and it was a horrible job. 6 weeks of slow progress, constantly blunting axes and chainsaws. Will a mini digger or stump grinder make better progress?
Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Depends what sort if finish you want really.

I bought the plastic grid and filled with 10mm gravel, been down 6 years and in use daily.

Drains very well as well.

Photo0115.jpg

I noticed a house down the street was having a resin driveway done and they used the same grid and gravel as a base for the resin top coat.

With mine I put a thin layer of gravel down first to level it then the grid and gravel on top.

Took a day to do drive and fence.

Sponsored Links
@Keithmac

How does that drive cope with weeds growing through? Maintenance? Clearing with a snow shovel? Losing stone etc.

I like the fact that it acts as a giant soakaway rather than the rain water heading down the drain.

Weed wise it's not bad, couple of goes a year with the Round-up.

Weed break underneath would be a good idea though.

I've not lost any gravel at all, went flush to the top of the grid and it's all stayed put.

I haven't shovelled snow off it so can't comment on that one yet, never had any problems driving off it.

As you say it's a giant soakaway which was part of the appeal.

The other side is large gravel only and crap in comparison, on my to-do list!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back