Log Cabin Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a 5m x 3m log cabin for my garden. I wanted to ask about the base. At present I want to place it at the back of the garden and this is near my neighbours trees. The trees have busted the fence panels and i can see a few roots coming through the grass onto the surface.

I'm looking for the most cost effective way of building a base and will either lay paving slabs down or a concrete base. The problem is the soil is hard and there are tree roots which is making my life difficult (took me ages just to move the plants in the area because I kept hitting the tree roots). I haven't got access for a digger so it will need to be dug the old fashion way. Can you please advise me on the best way to dig, the base for paving slabs or concrete (or any other way) and also will the roots grow back if I cut them off where I see them while digging? I'm new to this but not afraid of a challenge.

I've had a quote for a concrete base at £700, is this reasonable?

Sponsored Links
It's 2.5m high. With post holes would this last for a long time? I'm assuming I'd dig lots of holes and float the base?

Unfortunately you can't as it would take you over the permitted height. This is why i asked.

It won't take long to dig. Personally I'd do an insulated and Dpm slab and join the DPm to the inside of you cabin.

You'll need a mixer for that.

Sponsored Links
I found another option.
1.jpg

Would this be suitable? I would need to dig in order to places these so I don't go above the 2.5M limit

it would last about 5-8 years. As it will rot. That design really needs to be off the ground and made out of more substantial wood.

While your digging you might want to dig a soak away too

I used twelve 3ft x 2ft concrete slabs laid on a bed of sand and cement for the base. I then used railway sleepers cut to the width of the base with the shed put onto this (a large heavy shed).

My dad didn't have access to sleepers so he used concrete fence posts.

If all leveled and done properly, it will outlast the shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back