Log cabin base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not something i have ever done so would apreciate some comments from the experienced. I have a 4mx3m Log cabin to install in my garden so obviously my first job is to build a base.

I will be doing this myself as i am more than happy i can do it and am very practical. The cabin is from Dunster House so good quality. I dont want to entertain a concrete base unless i absolutelly have to so my options look to be either a base made from paving slabs with the correct aggregate underneath ect or using some of the plastic shed base kits i have seen on various websites, with the plastic base being filled with pea shingles.

The garden area is fairly level and the ground is fairly firm (new build house but the builders dumped loads of bricks and rubble in the ground before soil and turf). I will obviously level out the area my base will be sat on whichever method i use.
I am favouring the plastic base kit at the minute as it looks very easy to install. Can anyone comment on how good they tend to be or offer any reasons why i should favour paving slabs?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Hiya I'm in the process of building a small workshop, 3.6m x 2.5m I've used the concrete dek posts the a 4x2 timber frame separated from the concrete posts by dpm, I've then built the frame on top so it's as you would need a floating base, the concrete dek posts come in different lengths I've used 600mm, although I doubt that you will get any at the moment, if you need any more info and I'm glad to help, cheers Paul
IMG_20200317_084543_0.jpg
IMG-20200325-WA0000.jpeg

Last edited:
Because it's a log cabin you need the raised type of base that I've built, this supports the ring beams then the floor fits inside,

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hiya I'm in the process of building a small workshop, 3.6m x 2.5m I've used the concrete dek posts the a 4x2 timber frame separated from the concrete posts by dpm, I've then built the frame on top so it's as you would need a floating base, the concrete dek posts come in different lengths I've used 600mm, although I doubt that you will get any at the moment, if you need any more info and I'm glad to help, cheers PaulView attachment 187448 View attachment 187449

Hi Paul

I’m on with finishing my plans for a shed/workshop so was interested to see the dekposts you’ve used. I’d contacted a garden room builder and got details of the 75mm x 8mm x 500mm metal right angled post they use as in the photo but these dekposts look sturdier so will see if I can get a local supplier.

74C25523-3766-459E-A20B-F5CE20788084.jpeg
F2C2A613-8F01-4969-A67A-AAA8938D0308.jpeg

My current plans are 6m x 3.2m and had worked out I needed 12 On 2m spans (120x45 joists)but looking at yours, you seem to have gone for shorter spans?

what size bolts do the posts need? Are they M12? I presume a standard 120mm bolt and nut with washers would be okay - I can’t find any information on line.

Hiya I think the bolts that I used were 10mm stainless steel, some of the holes where slightly smaller so I just run a 10mm drill bit through, I chose the concrete posts mainly because they are a good price from my supplier in Godstone Surrey and they won't rust, they also have reinforced steel inside, the shed is all up and running for the past two months and is great. Good luck with what ever method you choose, Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_082727.jpg
    IMG_20200414_082727.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 145
Forgot to say that the spacing was about one every 1m because it's a workshop and heavy, plus the joists are 2x4 treated, the base took a day to build including digging the holes, although it was late February and ground was more manageable.

I think the angle iron that you have in your post is from baker's garden buildings, I was against that idea myself because unless there is some concrete pad underneath the angle iron, it is a point load, the concrete dek posts are 10cm square so less luckily to move. Hope this has all been some help.

That’s great Paul thank you. Your workshop looks really smart - thanks for sharing.

Yes, that steel is Baker’s! There seems to be so many systems around that it’s a bit confusing.

I do like the dekpost that you have used - I’m just trying to find a local supplier.

Your very welcome, I hope that you find the posts, they come in different lengths, I used the 600mm and they've worked great.

Thanks Paul

I am planning to mark out where my posts need to go in the ground and then set in the ground and level each of them before attaching the joists.

Out of interest did you do the same or build your frame then measure where your posts need to go and install?

thanks again

Hiya I built the basic frame without the extra support or noggins, the laid it on the ground and marked for the 12 post holes, didn't take as long as it sounds, I used the Screwfix speed coach screws, and joist hangers as well, hope this helps, I used the same system on our 3m X 5.4m summerhouse, I used the damp proof course between the timber frame and concrete post, again from Screwfix, not expensive at all, u can see on the summerhouse base frame.

Last edited:
Photo of summerhouse base.

Attachments

• WP_20190423_08_19_50_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20190423_08_19_50_Pro_LI.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 176
Summerhouse photo

Attachments

• WP_20190526_13_04_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190526_13_04_18_Pro.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 133

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back