Log cabin base too big, should I raise the cabin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've got concrete a base for a 6.5x7m log cabin/home office in the garden however the log cabin we're after is actually slightly smaller, 6x7m. I've read posts saying the base should be the exact same size as the structure otherwise you risk water getting underneath.

I'm concerned that over time water will damage the timbers in the base if it has a chance to run underneath. Would it be worth me putting a set of flags down to raise up the cabin just encase, or am I being overly cautious?

Thanks in advance,
Adam.

Sponsored Links
I think you're right to be cautious - in fact, I certainly wouldn't let it rest on the ground in any case, even if it's on a concrete slab.
I would put it up on concrete block piers, maybe two blocks high. Lay the blocks on their sides, so you would have 200mm high piers if you're using standard blocks. No need to cement them, they won't go anywhere.
Obviously I don't know what sort of construction the cabin base is and how practical this would be, but it would seem sensible to keep some air moving around underneath.
Maybe someone else can advise further, but hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back