Log cabin base on a sloping garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to gauge opinions. I'm looking to erect a circa 5x4 metre log cabin in my garden. Its a 44mm interlocking cabin so it carries substantial weight.
There is also a slight slope on the base area (approx 1ft from top to bottom) to slightly complicate matters.

One option is raised decking. I'm confident of DIY with this option, using heavy duty materials (4" risers and 6"x2" timber for joists & noggins) hosted in these concrete decking blocks , which will be concreted into the ground on a base of hardcore and sitting just above the ground to avoid burying the posts into the ground and them rotting in 10-15 years time.

Something else I could do myself is use concrete slabs/7NC blocks on a bed of hardcore to build up as risers to host the timber base on.

The alternative option is level the ground, dig approx 18" into the ground and build up with hardcore, concrete and slabs on top. I'm not confident of DIY for this option so I'd look to get somebody in to do this.

Just wanted to gauge opinion on whether the DIY option is going to be substantial enough to hold the cabin or whether I'm best opting for the concrete base.

I'm very happy to do the raised decking myself and it would save me circa £500 from the concrete base quotes I've got to date. Great, but I dont want the £3k cabin I'm sitting on top of it to be at risk by not taking the best base option.

Sponsored Links
I've shored up a patio sliding down a slope using cores with rebars running through them into decent footings.But concrete base seems right for large footprint like 5x4 summerhouse.

be careful if you think about placing it on raised decking
you need to remember a mass produced shed will be close to the the permitted height within permitted development and will be designed for perhaps a 76-102mm foundation to keep within permitted development

Sponsored Links
I've shored up a patio sliding down a slope using cores with rebars running through them into decent footings.But concrete base seems right for large footprint like 5x4 summerhouse.

The log cabin itself is circa 3.5m x 4.5m, I wanted a 5x4m base to have a little room around the bottom of the cabin. Still substantial weight though.

I would have though concrete base was the way to go but the 4 quotes I've had for this work, 2 have said a raised timber frame would suffice and 2 have said it wouldnt. Just made me think a little.

I had planned it accordingly with the decking so that it meets planning requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back