Digicam charger & rechargeable batteries -- advice neede

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a new set of Philips Multilife 1.2 V NiMH rechargeable batteries (AA). They're 2600 NiMH.

Thing is, I really wanna maximize the use of these, and get as many years of use out of 'em as poss. My last set of rechargeables had a disappointing lifespan. I've heard that correct initial charging of them is the key.

1) For how long should I first charge 'em?

2) After that initial charge, should I just use them until there's no power in them, and then do another recharge of XX hours? Or should rechargeable batteries be constantly recharged?

3) What about storage? (If I don't use them for months on end, what's the correct charging procedure/frequency?)

4) Is it true that if rechargeable batteries are dropped accidentally, even from a short height, this greatly reduces their lifespan, or does it only moderately reduce it? (I sometimes have butterfingers, lol.)

5) What about my old-ish batteries, which I haven't disposed of yet. Bought them 3 years ago, but have used them irregularly. They're 2100 NiMH. I'm sure there's still some life in them. I have a multimeter. How do I test if there's any power in them? What reading will tell me that there now only fit for the rubbish bin?

Sorry for the long post. Will be very appreciative of your advice on these issues.

Cheers,
RS ;)

Sponsored Links
Rollingstone06 said:
1) For how long should I first charge 'em?

2) After that initial charge, should I just use them until there's no power in them, and then do another recharge of XX hours? Or should rechargeable batteries be constantly recharged?
I don't know, but your questions prompted me to Google this for my own purposes. I found several interesting articles, one being here: http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back