digital aerial quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend is wanting to replace her current aerial for a digital one for 3 TV's in her detached house. She has been quoted over £400 for this. Please can anyone tell me if this is a true estimate or if she is been ripped off? The quote is for 1 aerial and new cable. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
More than likely Yes it's rip off.

If she's getting a good picture on analogue with the current arial, she won't need to have anything replaced to get digital.

A new arial and cable (materials C £60 max) labour on top shouldn't add up to £340.

A friend is wanting to replace her current aerial for a digital one for 3 TV's in her detached house. She has been quoted over £400 for this. Please can anyone tell me if this is a true estimate or if she is been ripped off? The quote is for 1 aerial and new cable. Any thoughts?

nice work if you can get it!!

yes in my opinion she is being fleeced! does she need a new boiler as well? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I hate threads like this. There's really not enough info in the opening post to make a reasonable guess as to whether the install quote is high, reasonable or cheap.

Q. I want to buy a car - is £30,000 a rip off?

Answer: If you're buying a mini then Yes.

A Range Rover Sport - no, it's about right.

A BMW M5 - it's cheap

kellyc42, get two more quotes from other installers for a like-for-like comparison. If they're all around the same figure then you have your answer.

Folk on forums will always jump on the "rip off" bandwagon. But without knowing what's involved in your install, and unless they are trained professional installers themselves working in same postcode area it's impossible to say whether the quote reasonable or not.

Sponsored Links
If there's more than one installer available locally, get one or more quotes from a CAI member (Confederation of Aerial Installers)

If there's more than one installer available locally, get one or more quotes from a CAI member (Confederation of Aerial Installers)
Doesn't mean as much as you think it does. I used to work for a Sky sub-contract company, that were CAI+ members and I could tell you many, many horror stories about their work.

There has only been one change in aerial type when we went from 405 lines to 625 lines the band was changed and we all had to install new aerials.

The band for 625 lines ( channels 21 to 68 ) can be further split and using narrow band aerials allows one to have a smaller aerial to do the same job as a big one.

However we ran out of free frequencies and so freeview was slotted into any gaps they could find so a wide band aerial was required until the change over is complete.

Once the change over is complete we can return to narrow band aerials so you need to look at when your area moves over and see is it really worth fitting a new aerial for the short time remaining?

Not sure if you've already sorted this out but I moved into my house last august... the house had no aerial so we had a digital one installed. we had the digital aerial and cabling for two ports at different sides of the house plus an external booster box... all fitted and working superbly for £200

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back