Dimmer light now stays on ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Have just joined the forum as I am desperate for some help.
I recently changed a light fitting on a dimmer in the kitchen but the wall switch doesnt work and I am unable to turn off the light and its permanently on.
When I removed the old fitting, I saw that there were 4 separate sets of connections to junction box.
3 with red/blue/earth
1 with red/blue/yellow/earth
I have obviously connected it wrong so I would appreciate advice as to where the new fitting should be connected to.
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I take it you mean you changed the ceiling light and not the dimmer switch.
In any case you will need to show us a photograph of the cabling to your dimmer switch.
It looks like you have a three core and earth (red, blue, yellow & earth) which could be possibly be your power provider at the switch the other cables are probably the live/neutral/earth loops.

By the way if you did power the switch/lights up incorrectly you may well have blown the dimmer - might be handy if you have a spare rocker switch.

Hi
Yes sorry I changed the ceiling light not the dimmer.
I changed it because it had already stopped working, ever since the bulb blew a few days ago, before that it was working fine so I dont think I've blown the dimmer
Here is a picture of the cabling to your dimmer switch.
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately that picture of the switch doesn't actually help identify the cables at the ceiling rose. It is just a standard live in (red) switch live out (black/red tape).
I take it none of the black ceiling wires had a piece of red tape on them?

If this is a kitchen ceiling light is there a fan or other fixed appliance that no longer works?
I'm trying to find an explanation for the 3core& earth cable being there.

Also I take it you don't have a multi-meter - we could use that to try and identify which (red/black) cable at the ceiling rose brings in the live and neutral and which (red/black) takes the power to the switch and brings the switch live power back.

This is how your ceiling rose and switch (excluding the 3 core cable) should be wired.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting:crnonharm

Sponsored Links
I've taken another look at there isnt a black wire with red tape on at the ceiling and we've checked all the other electrical applicances switches etc in the kitchen and everything else seems to work okay.

I dont have a multi-meter. I guess the only option is to get a qualified electrictian to come and sort it out.

Thanks for the advice anyway riveralt.

You can get one for a tenner down at Maplins or the like.
Leaving the three core cable aside for the moment - you just need to identify the cable that goes to the switch and returns to the ceiling rose.
Once that is done the two remaining cables are your live/neutral/earth loops - the red live loop goes into the centre terminals and the black neutral to the left three and the earth to the earth terminals of the ceiling rose.

Then your red switch cable goes to the centre terminals and your returning black goes to the lights switch live terminal (brown - 2 on the right).

To find the switch cable turn the power off and connect the red/black together at the switch - then turn the multi-meter to low ohms and test across the black/red cables at the ceiling rose - one of them will give you a continuity reading and that is your switch cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back