Dimmer question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend would like a dimmer on a livingroom ceiling light. It has 4 or 5 LED eddison bulbs (if that's what they're called- you know the retro ones)

Should this be ok with a decent quality dimmer? His builders (not an electrician) are saying a small load will make the dimmer buzz annoyingly loudly.

I have two of them on a grid switch myself with a dimmer and it seems fine

Thanks for input

Sponsored Links
Get a dimmer that's suitable for LED's / small loads, also need to ensure his LED bulbs are actually dimmable.

Thanks, he's away to get one

I bought an MK one earlier that said suitable for low voltages but MK themselves said it wasn't the ideal one. Of course screwfix didn't have the more suitable one

I advised my friend just now that double pole might be safer to buy as we don't know exactly how this light is wired. Its a single switch for a single fitting, but am I right that doesn't necessarily mean the single pole switch is right?

advised my friend just now that double pole might be safer to buy as we don't know exactly how this light is wired. Its a single switch for a single fitting, but am I right that doesn't necessarily mean the single pole switch is right?
That is rubbish and not needed for indoors. In any case you will not find a double pole dimmer!
I bought an MK one earlier that said suitable for low voltages but MK themselves said it wasn't the ideal one. Of course screwfix didn't have the more suitable one
?
You do not need a low VOLTAGE dimmer, you need a low WATTAGE dimmer.

With respect, your friend
is going to lose confidence in your powers if you just keep guessing at stuff.

Sponsored Links
That is rubbish and not needed for indoors. In any case you will not find a double pole dimmer!

You do not need a low VOLTAGE dimmer, you need a low WATTAGE dimmer.

As mains is low voltage and dimmers are not made for high voltage or ELV I suppose technically he is not wrong.

You know that is not what the OP or I am talking about.

I am trying to assist him. You just complicate matters with unnecessary aside remarks that serve to confuse the unaware, and infuriate the rest of us.

Why don't you take yourself off to the IET forum and argue your stupidity there.

Taylortwocities I take offense at being told my friend will ''lose confidence in my powers"

What powers are you taking about? I am only here asking a simple question trying to help a dentist friend stuck at work all day, wanting to try and buy the right thing.

I am certain the screwfix catalogue offered either single pole or double pole (single dimmer switch) this morning (the one I ended up buying and took back).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back