Why Hamiltom 1000w dimmer still buzzes? using 9x50w gu10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently re-wired the house
Everyroom is fitted with resistive dimmers, all rooms have 5 spots, all dimmers are fine, just make slight noise, except my lounge.
Lounge has 9 x 50 w gu10 spots, i first tried a 600w mk dimmer but buzzed, as apparently it couldnt handle the load. So was advised to try a 1000w hamilton dimmer.
When on full it buzzes more than satifactory and when on half, its really loud.
How can i stop this?or reduce this noise? Shall i get a new 1000w dimmer?
I even tried swapping dimmers and it only happens in my lounge
i know there is a slight nioise with all dimmers, but this takes the ****?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
i've never understood the trend to flood a room with a thousand spotlights and then dim them all to half brightness or less..

first of all, halogen spot lights don't last as long if you dim them..

secondly, why didn't you have the room wired in 2 or 3 circuits so you could switch half off?

thirdly, why not swap the lamps for 20W ones?

are the spotlights mains or low voltage?
if the latter then they don't like to be dimmed unless you get special transformers for them..

electronic dimming rather than resistive would be better..

Thanks for the reply

First i did try 5 spots in the room with my mk resistive dimmer, but it buzzed to loud. Then was advised to use the Hamilton. Because the room was dark with 5 spots i upgraded to 9.
yes it does look a bit ridiculous, but theres not much natural light in the room.

ive used resistive dimmers 240v.

Ive not tried the 20w lamps

Sponsored Links
yes as only occasionally dim them when watching a film.

Mk logic plus

Now i have the Hamilton Sheer P1X1000 resistive dimmer

so 5 spots were not bright enough, yet you still insist on dimming them...

Some people like to have different levels of lights at different times. I do. Most normal people do.

so if 5 were too dim, put in another 5 on a seperate switch..

both on, full light, one on, half light..

Yes, that's one way of doing it. And another good reason to wire lighting circuits in 3-core! :D

Dimmers will naturally be loudest when at half brightness. The only thing that will reduce the noise is reducing the load.

"Switching half the lights off" is not the same as dimming, for one you still have bright spots of light.

I'd try an electronic/intelligent dimmer.

obvoiusly never heard of lighting design..

if you want the lights dimmed for specific effect (ie watching movies ) then you place the ones you want to leave on away from the TV area.. lighting plant pots and such rather than the couches you'll be sitting on..

obvoiusly never heard of lighting design..

if you want the lights dimmed for specific effect (ie watching movies ) then you place the ones you want to leave on away from the TV area.. lighting plant pots and such rather than the couches you'll be sitting on..

"Switching half the lights off" is not the same as dimming, for one you still have bright spots of light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back