2 way dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask your help.

I have recently had fitted a two way dimmer switch (one socket normal, one on a dimmer). I have 19 50w spotlights on this dimmer, they have all been put on one gang. I have got a 1000W dimmer switch but it is making a very loud buzzing noise. Can you advise as to whether all these on one gang is too much. The problem I have is that all the wires have now been encassed and adjusting them would be major hassle.
Is there any alternative I have, what about reducing the lamps to 35w (I also have 60w dimmable electronic transformers on each light)...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The dimmer is overloaded.
Low voltage downlighters require an over rated dimmer switch as the power actually used by the lights is more than the total lamp wattage.

I am not sure what size rated dimmer would be required, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

as RF Lighting said its too much for one dimmer get the lot split (biggest standard dimmer i know of is 1000w)

thanks so far

I have a 1000w dimmer switch. The problem I have is that all the wiring has been done and ceiling put in , to get to it to split it into gangs will probably cost quite a bit. We have 19 spots @ 50w = 950w, I was thinking if I reduce the lights to 35w that will bring it down to 665w, on a 1000w dimmer switch, will that be ok....? I am obviosuly a bit concerned.

Any replies, greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Unless you dimmer does not need derating, it can only run 500W of TH lighting safely.

securespark said:
Unless you dimmer does not need derating, it can only run 500W of TH lighting safely.

sorry, can you explain this to me, I have no real idea on electrics and am concerned that I am going to have to start all over again and pull the ceiling down, to be able to split the wires into more than one gang.........

maker x says dimmer rated at 1000w

maker x also say, this dimmer should be de rated by 50% for halogen lighting

maker y say dimmer rated for 500w for use with 500w max of halogen lamps

maker y has already derated the dimmer for you, since it is the same dimmer as dimmer x but sold as a 500w dimmer that does not require de rating

could you not lift floor above?

we may have to go in through the floorboards above, only trouble is we won't have access to the whole area is some is in the extension area.

What about these remote dimmers that I have seen, that are controlled via remote control, would this be an option...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back