Buzzing dimmer

Sponsored Links
As i've still not found a resolution to this problem and with the customer wanting it finished and me wanting to get paid, i'm thinking of changing all the lamp holders in the downlights for mains voltage ones. Would this then decrese the amount of buzzing coming from the dimmer?

What steps have you taken to resolve this? You have already been given a lot of ideas.
What did JCC say?
Have you tried another compatable dimmer?
Did u try low voltage instead of ELV lamps?

Anything else ?
Edit: have you tried running the dimmer with only half the trannies connected? Does the dimmer still buzz. Some do just buzz because they are rubbis.

What steps have you taken to resolve this? You have already been given a lot of ideas.
What did JCC say?
Have you tried another compatable dimmer?
Did u try low voltage instead of ELV lamps?

Anything else ?
Edit: have you tried running the dimmer with only half the trannies connected? Does the dimmer still buzz. Some do just buzz because they are rubbis.

When i rang JCC i finally got through to there tech. line and the person there told me that because i was using 20-60va transformers then the 60va should be multiplied by the amount of lights to see what the maximum load the dimmer is taking, and therefore 60 x 16 = 960 so according to him the reason the dimmer was buzzing so much was because of this.

I haven't tried another dimmer as a) I can't seem to find a dimmer made by either steeple (make of transformers) or jcc (make of downlights) and b) the last one cost me £40 and so i don't really want to be buying another one at this cost if its still going to buzz. I did look at getting some transformers that were the same brand as the dimmer (varilight) but again at £6 each then i would rather try something else first.

Sorry if my post above was confusing but what i meant was that i was going to try and take out all the transformers and replace them with low voltage lamp holders instead of the elv lamp holders i have in at the moment, because even though i would have to give my labour for free this would seem like the cheapest option as the lamp holders can be got quite cheap.

I have not tried seperating the lights yet but think this may be a bit pointless as, even if this did stop the buzzing, then it would mean getting another wire to the switch which would be nigh on impossible now all ceilings and walls are painted.

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
I really think you have four options.

1) Try replacing all the transformers with Varilight ones
2) Rewire it in a more sensible way so that you have multiple circuits
3) Bin the transformers and change all the fittings to LV
4) Fit a switch and bin the dimmer

1, 2 and 3 are all going to cost you
4 is not going to satisfy your customer

My gut feeling is that your problems are mainly being caused by the transformers.

I really think you have four options.

1) Try replacing all the transformers with Varilight ones
2) Rewire it in a more sensible way so that you have multiple circuits
3) Bin the transformers and change all the fittings to LV
4) Fit a switch and bin the dimmer

1, 2 and 3 are all going to cost you
4 is not going to satisfy your customer

My gut feeling is that your problems are mainly being caused by the transformers.

That's what i think as well, and i'll probably end up doing option number 3 because option 1 is expensive and even though option 2 would be cheaper for me it will cause to much hassle and mess for the customer. Also option 4 is out of the question because as you said it won't satisfy the customer.

I can't seem to find a dimmer made by either steeple
Good thing too, as Steeple is a Denmans wholesaler own brand, akin to Tesco Value.

This is a good example of why fitting cheap tat is not worthwhile.
If 12v lamps are to be used, the Varilight transformers are the solution.

While they cost more, so does having to go back to a job to repair things which should have worked properly in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back