Downlighters and Dimmer Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m after some advice please. . . . .
I want to fit 9 downlighters into my new suspended ceiling, controlled by a Varilight touch/remote control dimmer. I’ve read through various posts trying to make the right decision whether to use 50W low voltage or mains GU10 bulbs. Can I achieve this using a 600w dimmer? I have read that when using mains GU10 bulbs, you have to down rate the dimmer by 50%? Other people have suggested that the Varilight dimmers have been re-rated and will operate safely at 600w load?
I don’t mind going the low voltage route, but again I’ve read that the dimmers are more likely to cause ‘buzzing’? …any truth in this?
I am now totally confused as to what would be my best option . . . . . any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
mains voltage are easier to dim, and more reliable. apparently, LV halogens give better light, not that joe public would be able to tell.

Different types of bulb are coming onto the market which replace standard mains voltage GU10s - LED lamps and mini fluorescents are getting cheaper and better, so i recommend mains voltage halogens.

the varilight dimmers are good kit, you cant go far wrong with them, if you have connected too much to them, they have a self-protect circuit that prevents them closing onto an overload or unsuitable load. They also have soft start which extends lamp life.

I've had some 50w GU10 mains halogen's installed (6 of them) for a few months and they've been great, give a good light (not bright), but if there's one thing that I'm not too keen on is that they produce a huge amount of heat.

Been toying with the idea of replacing them with mains LED GU10's, but not sure how bright these are - plus I don't think they dim very well from what I've read... ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back