New downlights - flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, I installed a new 300W electronic dimmer which controlled 6 low voltage downlights. All was fine. Today, I've changed the downlights to 6 new 50W mains voltage downlights.

However, one of the bulbs is now flickering. I've tried changing the bulb but doesn't make a difference. Could the problem be the 300W load is at the maximum for the dimmer?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If only one is flickering it can't be the switch.

If only one is flickering, and you have just installed the lights, my money is on a loose connection.

Let's be clear with this please.

Are you saying you simply replaced a lighting system running at 12v by changing the bulbs to 230v / 50w

or are you saying you took out the transformers, wired the fittings for direct mains and then updated the bulbs ?

A dimmer hates being used at max ouput, so yes the 300w dimmer should be replaced with a 400w one.

As for the fault, since I'm not sure what you actually have done, I won't comment.

Chri5";p="1490436 said:
Let's be clear with this please.

Are you saying you simply replaced a lighting system running at 12v by changing the bulbs to 230v / 50w

or are you saying you took out the transformers, wired the fittings for direct mains and then updated the bulbs ?

quote]

I took out the transformers and wired the new fitting onto the the direct mains and put new 50W GU10s in.

Will try a 400W dimmer. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
[shrug]If the dimmer is acting up then it would be affecting all 6 lights.[/shrug]

Will try a 400W dimmer. Thanks.

It is prudent up the dimmer rating, but that won't clear the immediate problem, as Ban All Shed's mentioned:=

[/quote]If only one is flickering it can't be the switch.

If only one is flickering, and you have just installed the lights, my money is on a loose connection.

If the dimmer is acting up then it would be affecting all 6 lights
and even I said
As for the fault, since I'm not sure what you actually have done, I won't comment.
Hope that clears it up- check the wiring, look for cable cores that have slipped to the side of the terminals and haven't made good contact. Turn the juice off 1st and do a visual and tug at every termination.

You may find that the longevity of your dimmer will be compromised, especially if you used gu10's as you are supposed to consider the derating, unless the dimmers are iQ.

But go and check the connections to that fitting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back