LED Downlights flickering, low PFC, solutions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all!

Have installed some very fancy LED downlights, controlled by dimmers but they flicker intermittently.

Lets cut a long story short here, the reason for this flicker is down to loads on the general electrical system (in the property and on the same TX) dipping the voltage.

The supply to the flat in question is run in a very small conductor from the 3PH intake (MI) which is shared between many flats. L-N PFC is only 280A (ish) which suggests voltage will vary wildly with load, hence the flicker with LED's connected via a dimmer.

Can any of you know recommend something that will keep the voltage steady (used 3ph Power Factor capacitors before, but not SP) and stable to stop the downlights flickering. I can easily attach such a device to the lighting circuits only if needed.

Adam.

Sponsored Links
Yep, I know. The MI cable between the ryefield (service fuses) and the flat's meter box is apparently owned by the residents committee.

Even if it was (or should be) DNO responsibility, nothing will ever come of any complaint, given my experience.

Therefore, what can be fitted to mitigate this voltage-fluctuation effect?

Sponsored Links
That's not the problem.

Your supply is unacceptable and should be rectified.

From your stated PSCC(PFC) either the Zn is 1.2Ω which is unacceptable or with a 'usual' Zn of around 0.3Ω the voltage is only 84V.

Either way, or anything in between, it should be put right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back