Dimmer Switch Keeps Blowing on 12 x GU10 bulbs ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2nd Wickes dimmer switch has just blown after 30mins use .....

Do GU10 bulbs need special dimmers?

I have x12 50W GU10's on this circuit ... so 600W total, but the dimmer is rated to over 1KW.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Its a 10m long Kitchen Dinner with two sets of these on one circuit
http://www.wickes.co.uk/bullet-6-bar-spotlight/invt/187033/
There's your other problem, right there.

You're trying to light a room using lights which are specifically designed to not light a room - that's why you've had to put a stupidly high amount of wattage in there, to try and get around the fact that the lights are deliberately made to be unsuitable.

Are they newly installed, or have you just recently swapped a normal switch for a dimmer?

If I were to use a 300W dimmer on a 336W circuit would that be asking for trouble?
What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Aurora dimmers are pretty much the industry standard in my area....

You're trying to light a room using lights which are specifically designed to not light a room - that's why you've had to put a stupidly high amount of wattage in there, to try and get around the fact that the lights are deliberately made to be unsuitable.

Ban-all-sheds ... Why? Should I be using candles or torches;)

Building inspector would not let me use recessed spots ... becuase of celotex in part of this room's garage conversion ...hence these ...

I've found some 400W dimmers ... will de-rate the bulbs to those 28W ones making the circuit 336W .. hopefully that should be OK.

Many dimmers are not suitable for use with halogen lamps due to the much higher current when they are switched on.

Some manufacturers recommend derating the dimmer by 50%, so your 1kW dimmer probably was only suitable for 500W of halogen lighting.

Unless the 400W dimmer you have found is specifically suitable for halogen lights, it too will fail.

Ban-all-sheds ... Why? Should I be using candles or torches;)
No - for lighting rooms you should be using lights designed to light rooms. Using torches is what you're doing now. They may not run off batteries but they are still 2" diameter reflector lamps.

Building inspector would not let me use recessed spots ... becuase of celotex in part of this room's garage conversion ...hence these ...
They are still spotlights - they produce small spots of light, not an even, wide spread of light.

They have their origins in the retail display market, and they are specifically designed to produce narrow beams of light to highlight, or spotlight, individual items or features. In other words they are specifically designed to do the exact opposite of what you want lighting for general room illumination to do.

600W for a 10m room? Or even 336W is madness. It might be a bit of an exaggeration to say you could light a whole house with 600W, but not much, and I'm sure you could comfortably light that room with about ⅓ of your reduced amount.

Ban-all-sheds ... It looks very nice and well illuminated with the spots ... Its a long narrow room .... they work well .. yeah 600W is excessive ... agree .. 336W will be a lot better ...

flameport
Many dimmers are not suitable for use with halogen lamps due to the much higher current when they are switched on.

Some manufacturers recommend derating the dimmer by 50%, so your 1kW dimmer probably was only suitable for 500W of halogen lighting.

Unless the 400W dimmer you have found is specifically suitable for halogen lights, it too will fail.

Thats subject discussed here ... It seems not the case?
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88276

Aurora dimmers are pretty much the industry standard in my area....

Rather than just mentioning random chinese dimmer manufacturers.....perhaps a specific aurora dimmer code that would actually help the op may be more useful :D

Outmyway.......did your dimmers life coming to an end happen to coincide with 1 or more of your GU10s blowing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back