Dimmer switch dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm looking for a little help.....

I have bought a new 2 way dimmer switch and 2 way gang switch (both matal face plate) to replace the existing plastic 2 way gang switches I had before. Unfortunately the wiring diagram is confusing me. Here is the situation as it currently stands;

Living room with one central ceiling light controlled by two light switches.

Switch one (entrance, I aim to connect normal 2 way gang switch here) has a metal wall back box and has three connection holes on the back of the plastic switch. Two cables with 6 wires connect as follows;

Common - 1 red
L1 - red wire and yellow wire with red sleeve
L2 - black and blue wires both with red sleeves
earth wire (yellow and green) connected to metal back box.

Switch 2 ( I aim to connect dimmer switch here) has one cable with 4 wires connected as follows;

Common - one red wire
L1 hole - blue wire red sleeve
L2 hole - yellow wire red sleeve
earth wire (yellow and green) connected to metal back box.

The new metal switch I aim to replace switch one has connections marked L1, L2 and L3. The dimmer switch has L, Sw, and a wavy line with an arrow.

Does anyone have any ideas how to connect my new switches to the existing cables (I believe I will need to have an additional earth wire connected to from the metal switch to the metal backplate).

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Andrew.

Sponsored Links
I am guessing that these are iQ or Varilight dimmers?

If so you cannot do what you are hoping. This type of dimmer uses a master dimmer at one end and a slave at the other. They do not work with standard 2way light switches.

You will be best taking the dimmer back and getting as standard push button one.

t2565752.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting#switch-terminals

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting#way-dimmer-switch

BTW - when you go into the room and turn the light on at the doorway, will you be happy with having to go over to the dimmer switch to change the brightness if it's not right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back