Replace old light switch with 2 gang varilight touch dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate a liitle help on replacing a 2 gang switch(plastic) with a 2 gang touch/remote dimmer switch(Chrome). The problem I have is that the connections in the old light don't match the new one. Here is the old switch config:

There is currently a 2 Gang switch with operates 2 separate ceiling lights individually. There is single 4 core cable going to the switch, consisting of red, yellow, blue and earth (with green/yellow sleeving) cables.
The current switch has L1 L2 and common terminals at the top and then at the bottom has common L1 and L2 terminals.
The red cable goes to L2 at the top (there is also a separate red loop cable going from L2 to Common at the top). The yellow cable goes to the Common terminal at the bottom and finally the Blue cable goes to L2 terminal at the bottom. The earth cable is not connected and is sheathed presumably as it was not required for the plastic switch.

The new light fitting is metal and and has 2 boxes at the back for each gang. Each gang has 3 terminals marked Live, S-Link and Load. My dilema is how do I connect this new dimmer switch to my old switch wiring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am happy to post any pics if required. Thanking you all in advance

Sponsored Links
The red cable goes to L2 at the top (there is also a separate red loop cable going from L2 to Common at the top). The yellow cable goes to the Common terminal at the bottom and finally the Blue cable goes to L2 terminal at the bottom. The earth cable is not connected and is sheathed presumably as it was not required for the plastic switch.
It is wired 'inconsistently'.

Put the red wire in LIVE with a link to the other LIVE.

Then blue will go to LOAD in one switch and yellow to LOAD in the other.

Plus, the earth must be connected to the switch and should be tested to ensure it is actually has continuity with earth.

Hi EFLImpudance, Thanks so much for your reply. Just a couple of questions. The back box for the switch is no meatl. Does this matter. Also can i check the earth continuity myself or would I need to call in an electrician?? Thanks again for your reply and help on this matter. i really appreciate you've taken the time to assist me.

The back box for the switch is no meatl. Does this matter.
No, but the switch must be earthed if metal.

Also can i check the earth continuity myself or would I need to call in an electrician??
You can do it yourself if you have a multimeter and a long wire.

Meter on low ohms (beep) Just measure with one probe on the metal of the switch and the other probe via a wire to something else which is earthed.
The best would be the earth terminal near the meter if it is exposed.
Or a water pipe or a screw on a socket (as long as the back box is metal, of course).
The meter should beep indicating a low reading and satisfactory connection.

Thanks again for your reply and help on this matter. i really appreciate you've taken the time to assist me.
:)

Sponsored Links
Hi EFLInpudence,

Just wanted to thank you again. Switch and dimmer functions perfectly. Thanks again for your help. I have also connected earth to dimmer plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back