dimmer switch confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 lights, controlled by 3 switches. I am trying to replace one of the standard switches with a dimmer. I have selected the one I want to change and taken the cover off. At the back of the switch there are two holes at the top labelled L1 and two at the bottom labelled L2. A red and yellow wire go into the top 2 and a red and yellow wire going into the bottom 2. There is also a blue wire that enters the metal box behind, which is not linked at all to the switch, it just comes out of the wall and then goes back in. Finally there is a green/yellow wire which earths the metal box.

The new dimmer switch (plastic) has three holes marked, L1 L2 and Com.

Help, How do I wire this?

I have tried linking the yellow and red wires marked L1 and the yellow and red wires marked L2 and putting them in the respective holes in the new dimmer switch, leaving the com hole blank. nothing happened.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Sparkie said:
I have 2 lights, controlled by 3 switches. I am trying to replace one of the standard switches with a dimmer. I have selected the one I want to change and taken the cover off. At the back of the switch there are two holes at the top labelled L1 and two at the bottom labelled L2. A red and yellow wire go into the top 2 and a red and yellow wire going into the bottom 2. There is also a blue wire that enters the metal box behind, which is not linked at all to the switch, it just comes out of the wall and then goes back in. Finally there is a green/yellow wire which earths the metal box.
The new dimmer switch (plastic) has three holes marked, L1 L2 and Com.
Help, How do I wire this?
I have tried linking the yellow and red wires marked L1 and the yellow and red wires marked L2 and putting them in the respective holes in the new dimmer switch, leaving the com hole blank. nothing happened.
Thanks in advance for any help.

If I understand correctly the 2 lights can be turned on/off from 3 different places, if it is so your configuration is two way and intermediate, the intermediate switch is a different switch from the others.

You can't change the intermediate with a two way dimmer, what I suggest is that you try to chang one of the other 2 switches.

The dimmer connection is identical to a normal two way switch, so before you disconnect the wires from the old switch write down the way the wires are connected and than re-connect the dimmer the same way.
Don't forget the the dimmer might be on minimum level so if is seems not to work try to turn it. You can connect only one dimmer to a two way connection.
VERY IMPORTANT, DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF THE POWER
IN THE FUSE BOARD.

Thanks Albert for your reply, very helpful.

I'll give it a go tonight. Fingers crossed I'm still around tomorrow.

Sparkie

Sparkie said:
Thanks Albert for your reply, very helpful.
I'll give it a go tonight. Fingers crossed I'm still around tomorrow.
Sparkie
If you are careful and cut the power while you are working, it might not work but you will be here for sure.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back