Dimmer switch problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought a 2-way dimmer switch but only need it for a one-way setup. The dimmer has connections for L1 and L2 but not a Common. What do I do!? Can I connect the live and neutral to L1 and L2 or is the switch faulty?

Thanks!

:)

Sponsored Links
There WILL be a common. It may not be marked as such, often on dimmers being marked with a wiggly line (to indicate variable).

You cannot connect to just the L1 and L2 - how would you expect that to work :rolleyes:

You also have no neutral in your switching circuit - the black is a switched live and should be marked as such with a small tag of red sleeving. Connecting a live and neutral to your dimmer switch would result in a loud bang, a damaged dimmer, and brown y-fronts. :LOL:

Thanks. The dimmer does have a hole marked "C" but there is no little screw and metal plate to put the wire into, it's just an empty plastic hole. I guess this bit is missing and I should take it back!

Hi,

I have bought a 2-way dimmer switch but only need it for a one-way setup.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:intermediate#using-2-way-and-3-way-switches-as-1-way-or-2-way

The dimmer has connections for L1 and L2 but not a Common.
If it does not have 3 terminals then it is not a 2-way dimmer.

What do I do!?
I cannot advise too strongly that you should learn how lighting circuits work so that you actually understand the things you want to fiddle with.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Can I connect the live and neutral to L1 and L2
What do you think a switch does?

What do you think will happen if you connect L & N to it and turn it on?

Sponsored Links
The confusing thing with the switch is that there is an empty space labelled "C" within the switch, without the screw or metal plate to fix the wire on to. It doesn't look like it has been tampered with so my only guess would be that it is actually a one-way switch but the manufacturer has unscrupulously used the same plastic moulding as their two-way switches...so the L1, L2 and C etchings on the plastic are still there but they have wired it up so that either the L1 or L2 is actually the C. Either that or the switch simply has a manufacturing fault of a missing C connection.

I wonder if anyone else has come across a similar switch before?

It doesn't help that the diagram in the instructions doesn't match the switch! The illustration in the instructions shows the order, from left to right, is C, L1, L2. However the etchings on the inside of the dimmer, from left to right, is L1, C, L2. This is why I think it is a manufacturers mistake!?

Try it out, connect the two wires to the two terminals.
Take it back if it doesnt work. My bet is that it will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back