Dimmer switch wiring????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm trying to replace a white dimmer switch with a new chrome one. The wiring on the old switch is different to the new one so would like confirmation on how to wire the new switch. The old switch is 2 way 2 gang (although I'm not needing to control lights from another position) there are 2 black cables (with red sheathing) going to each terminal marked C and then there are 2 red cables going to each terminal marked L1. There are 2 earth cables which are twisted together and covered by a raw plug which has been crimped (I can only assume they couldn't be bothered to get some proper earth sleeving!!!!. The new switch is 2 gang 1 way and has a live terminal, a terminal with a large 'S' and a terminal with a wavy line with an arrow going through it. Please can someone confirm how I connect the wiring up to the new switch. Thanking you in advance. Ps I will buy some earth sleeving to cover it properly.

Sponsored Links
The old switch is in two halves (circuit 1 and circuit 2) Hopefully you have two separate cables coming into the back box?

For each circuit. Put the red wire into the LIVE and the corresponding black (with red marker) into the wavy line terminal.

Earths must go to the front panel.

Isn't that what the diagram that came with dimmer says?

PS, please dont confuse the term "cable". A cable is the outer sheath (usually grey or white) with several conductors or wires inside it.
So you should have two CABLES each with three wires, so a total of six wires. Yes?

Hi Taylortwocoties. Thanks so much for your response I really appreciate it. I'm sorry that my post wasn't clear and I didn't use the right wording my apologies for that. Yes there are 2 separate cables going into the back box. 6 wires in total, 3 for each gang.

The diagram only explained how to wire up the new switch but because the old switch had the old symbols , I just wanted to confirm I was wiring the new switch correctly.

I really appreciate you taking time out to respond to me. Thanking you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back