dimmer switch?

m1c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
i have a problem with my new light setup. it consists of 4x150w transformers, 25x20w starlight halogen downlighters. i was advised to buy an intelligent dimmer switch, when purchasing the lights, so i did.

The problem is that after the lights have been on for about an hour they dim themselves, the switch i got is a Varilight 400w/320va dimmer which i don't think is suitable, am i right?

also i looked about for a dimmer switch with a higher power rating than 400w and the ones i found were not "intelligent" does this matter?

thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
You're running 500VA of SELV lighting through a 320VA Dimmer?

I guess it is dimming itself to prevent damage, as at this rate it is running on partial overload.

Need to increase dimmer size- TLC's VL iQ1701 600W (white) touch dimmer is suitable and it can be operated via RC if necessary, either existing or you can buy one for the purpose.

m1c said:
i was advised to buy an intelligent dimmer switch, when purchasing the lights, so i did.
Another case of a Seller taking advantage of someone who is unsure of what they want, instead of advising them of a cheaper method.

Thanks for the help, I am after a brushed chrome switch, is the VL IS1701 a suitable option?

Sponsored Links
Yep. It does say 600W- just check that it can handle 500VA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back