Dimmer with CFL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I've just decorated the nursery and the missus has decided we 'need' a dimmer switch. Fine I say, that'll be a doddle! So I look online and find the this beauty http://www.amazon.co.uk/Varilight-S...CD5S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344758531&sr=8-2
Given the recent expenditure on all the things we 'need' for the baby, the price looks very appealing. But then I notice there is a minimum wattage of 60W quoted, and I have a CFL lamp/bulb nowhere near that...hmmmph, not quite the doddle I first thought!
So if the minimum is 60W does that mean I'll have to do away with my energy saving lamp and use an incandescent one? Or can I use a CFL lamp with an equivalent 60W rating?

Sponsored Links
So if the minimum is 60W does that mean I'll have to do away with my energy saving lamp and use an incandescent one? Or can I use a CFL lamp with an equivalent 60W rating?
Incandescent is probably best all round option in a nursery.

Some CFLs produce a very high pitched whistle sound which is far too high for adults to hear but may be audible to very young children whose range of hearing is much wider than that of adults. A friend's dog will get up and leave the room if a CFL is switched on and not go back in while the lamp is lit.

There is also the very small risk of mercury and/or toxic dust if a CFL tube is shattered. Harmless ( :?: ) to adults but I wouldn't like to risk it with a baby or small child.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back