Dimmer Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know, it's been done to death...

Anyway, I have 3 sets of SELV under-cabinet lights (not in a kitchen so no Part P stuff). It's arranged like this:

1 set: 3x20W on a 60W transformer (60W total load).

1 set: 3x20W on a 60W transformer (60W total load).

1 set: 2x20W on a 60W transformer (40W total load).

Total Load: 160W

The three sets are wired in parallel to a standard dimmer with a minimum load of 60W and maximum load of 400W.

When I first tried them out the set with the two lamps on doesn't seem to reach full brightness and flickers. The other two sets flicker as I change the light level and make a humming noise.

Thinking that the transformers aren't "dimmable" (each set was from Ikea and I have heard that these kit transformers are junk anyway), I replaced them with electronic transformers which are "dimmable with L/V inductive dimmers)". Should I have bought ones which are suitable for resistive loads as well?

The new transformers have improved the situation but the lights all still flicker, especially the set of two lamps which also don't reach full brightness.

The dimmer itself is a Doyle and Tratt product and looking on their web site (varilight.co.uk), I can see that their standard dimmers are only recommended for mains lighting (I use them successfully for my mains halogens), but surely they should work just fine with electronic transformers as long as they're dimmable?

Can anyone shed some light on my problem (I bet no-one's used that one before!) :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm beginning to suspect that it was my dimmer all along, that it's simply not suitable for dimming SELV transformers. I found this link recommended to someone else:

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid=1510&rangeid=1014

Is this more suitable do you think?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back