dimming again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is the complete problem:
I bought a track light kit wich has 5-20w heads (mr16) and a toroidal transformer. Now, usually if I want to dim those light I would buy a magnetic dimmer because the humming. The thing is those are expensive at least 40us $. I was thinking at buying an electronic dimmer ($20) with a remote control (big plus) and to dim the secondary. I might get rid of the humming problem since the dimmer will be placed after the transformer. The question is: is this gonna afect my transformer.
By the way I use 120v because this what we use here.

Sponsored Links
The dimmer would be placed after the trasformer? Sounds unusual. I still don't see how it solves your problems. Transformers used in lighting are AC to AC generally, and you will still get the 60hz hum. Not only that but are you sure it's meant to be placed on the secondary, like I said, sounds unusual, and being electronic it will probably just plain refuse to work under conditions for which it is not designed. Plus, it is not a good idea to dim the secondary, in that when you switch it off the transformer will not be isolated.
The switch should always be on the primary.

May I ask for more information on this dimmer you are planning on buying such as a link?

Never come across the idea of dimming the secondary.

Many electronic transformers get very upset if you remove the load, which is what a dimmer on the secondary would do. And if it were a trailing edge dimmer, I dread to think of the back-emf that would be generated every time the current in the secondary collapsed.

Are you sure that dimming the secondary is a valid option?

Sponsored Links
Back