DIMPLEX LIVING ART FIRE PROBLEMS?- Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks in advance for all the replies. Ive have just purchased a Dimplex Living Art Fire, Model LVA191. When it arrived I was told to test it by the supplier before hanging it. The fire came with a 3 core flex attached which I just stuck a plug on and plug it into the wall ( Via an extension lead ), as instructed by supplier. However one of the electric heaters on the back of the fire started to smoke and the fan wouldn't turn. Obviously I turned it off. The supplier did send me a replacement but the same happened again! :rolleyes:

My questions on this are.
- has anyone on experienced similar problems with this type of fire, its the living art model which plays various pictures of fire scenes.

- was sticking a plug on it the wrong way to test it? as it does say it should be hard wired to a fused spur.

- any other comments on the general performance and durability on the dimplex fires?

- my electrician has installed a switched 13amp fused spur for the fire to get power from. Is this right based on the specs below?

The spec says. Must be used on an AC- supply only, plug the IEC connector for the hard wiring outlet to IEC fused (SSC 10A 250v ) socket on the applinace.

thanks again for any replies.

Sponsored Links
It would be hard to get the connections wrong.

Dimplex is a good make.

Did you fully follow the unpacking instructions - are there still packing pieces inside the fire??.

Hi taylor thanks for the quick response and your time. Yes, i followed the instructions to the letter. The 2 heaters on the back are enclosed units so no packaging in them. When the fire was turned on for the first time, with both fires Ive had, the screen comes on okay, one side heaters works fine, the fan turns and heat comes out, then the other side starts to smoke and the fans doesn't turn. The smell from the smoke is what id describe as electrical. With this being the second fire with the same problem, i thought It might be a faulty batch from dimplex.......or becasue the power came through and extension cable? any further comments taylor?

No problems would come form me putting a plug on it would they? how would you normally test a fire without hard wiring it first?

Sponsored Links
No problems at all with temporarily fitting a plug as it's the same electricity just a different connection. Sounds like a faulty batch.

are you certain that you removed all packaging, tape and possibly carriage screws or bolts?

if there's a fan, then there's a way for things to get into them..

If you put a heavy load - like a heater - on the end of a LONG extension lead, the voltage drop might be such that a squirrel-cage induction motor (a common choice for fans) might fail to start. There was a closely related problem on this forum months ago involving two fridges on a long extension lead. Somebody plugged a kettle into extension and both fridges blew up soon afterwards. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Without cooling air, the heater will glow bright red very quickly. Any half-decent fan heater should incorporate an over-temperature cut-out to protect it in the event of fan failure but you probably got to the switch first! :) :) :)

You shouldn't use extension leads for anything, the electrons come out dizzy (especially with those cable reel types) and this is no good for electrical appliances.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Many thanks to all above who have replied. I'm genuinely thinking its been a faulty batch of heaters. All the packaging was definatley removed, also any transit screws, because there wasn't any. The extension I used is 1 metre long! Thankfully the supplier is giving me a refund. Thanks again for all the replies, its appreciated.

hi can anyone help . We have a Dimplex living art wall fire that has various screen choices . It has been working fine with no problems. But have just switched it on and it has a message on screen saying No Signal. We had a new disk to try but still same message on screen . The heater is working fine on all settings . What can be the problem .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back