Dip in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem is as the heading says. I have recently put down a laminate floor
and thought our concrete floor was level. Unfortunately this appears not to be the case. In one small area the floor has a dip and as we walk on that area the floor boards are bouncing. My question is is there any way i could pack up this small part of the floor. I do not want to pull up the whole floor again for such a small area. Is there anything I could use. The dip is about 12 inches long by about 6 inches wide. It drops by approx an inch. With hindsite i should have checed all areas but it looked ok. I know it is my fault. Please can someone advise me what to do? I am desperate now because this part of the floor is in constant use.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Isnt there anything else I can do? I can get to the problem area.
Thanks
If I do pull up the floor what do I do then. Exscuse my ignarance I am but a mear woman!!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The only way to do this is to take the floor back up, unfortunately, and fill in the hollow with self levelling compound. This is like a slurry cement and does what it says (with a little help from a trowel).
Trying to sort the floor any other way won't work.....I've even seen one where the owner drilled a hole and squirted in some spray foam. A total waste of time.
John :)

Hello Kath
I guess you can use any compound you like for this, but self levelling stuff is very fine and smooth to work with. Drying time depends on the ambient temperature to some extent but 24 hrs is more than enough.
Quick drying cement can be just that - some go off after literally minutes, some gives you an hour or so - best look on the packet!
Ordinary portland cement would also do so long as you use building and not sharp sand.
An application of PVA glue helps the new screed to bond, and some plasticiser in the mix keeps it dead easy to work.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back