Dip in driveway - How to repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've got a dip in the driveway which seems to have got worse recently. It usually fills up with water but in the past few weeks its been draining away through holes in the joints. I got my hands on some water board dye and poured it in the hole and it (eventually) started showing up in the waste pipe when I lifted the manhole cover up. Judging my the direction of the pipes its looks as if the dip is between the house waste pipe and the sewage mainline.

Fair to say I think the pipe is damaged and I need to repair it. Is this something I should be doing or should the water board be involved. I know I can't see the pipes condition just yet but any advice I get would be appreciated.

PS. All the pipes are on my property.

Sponsored Links
I think that you have correctly identified the problem.

You have not mentioned the invert level but assuming your household insurance or any other scheme does not cover it then you either call in a contractor or you get digging.

Depending on your soil, if its more than about 1000 mm deep then you will have quite a job on your hands and will need to shore up the trench walls. doing it yourself you will need to excavate about 1000 mm wide to get working clearance. If all the pipe is in poor condition it may be better to renew the entire length in UPVC.

I am sure that you are already aware but if you have a broken pipe and softish soil then the drain tends to wash away the surrounding soil until its caused a depression on the surface. If its close to a building foundation it can cause subsidence.

Please let us know what you intend to do and if possible post photos when the drain is exposed.

Tony

Take out an insurance policy with BG ( the one that covers everything ) leave it a month or so & give em a ring. ;)

If you wanted an insurance then you might have to find one from YW as the only ones I know of to cover drainage are Severn-Trent and Thames Waters. They only cost about £8 per week.

Remember that advert of the Mini driving into the puddle and dissapearing up to the back bumper?

Tony

Sponsored Links
keego said:
Take out an insurance policy with BG ( the one that covers everything ) leave it a month or so & give em a ring. ;)
Who do you think pays for the repairs when false claims are made, keego?

Thanks for the replies.

We had the insurance people out and they said that we are covered for the damage. The pipe from the waste to the manhole in the garage is our responsibility, the waste pipe running from the manhole in the garage to the manhole at the front of the drive is the water boards.

He said there were two holes in the pipe and a large crack (I wasn't there so I don't know how good his xray eyes were. He also said that the other runoff pipe (from the gutter) was blocked too. We noticed this as the manhole at the front of the house was bone dry, even when we poured water down the roof.

All in all I am glad I don't have to dig and it shoudl only cost us £60 excess (hopefully).

I just finished flagging the back garden too and luckily didn't get up to this point or I would have been well peed off.

An "insurance man" says the responsibility is that of the Water Company ?

Do you mean this is a Water Co policy? If so then they are usually underwritten by an insurance co.

I presume that he used a CCTV camera in the drain, quite professional that! Pity he did not leave you a video of the pics.

Tony

Hope your insurance man is correct about responsibilities.
Here a householder is responsible for everything on their property unless sewer is shared with neighbouring properties in which case authority is responsible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back