External gas pipe replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a gas leak about 15 years ago, the external supply pipe had rotted. When the gas board replaced it they said someone would come back to repair the driveway slabs and make good the hole. They never did and the hole got filled in with all the ground they had dug out.

I’m now going to have the drive replaced but the ground has sunk, should I be concerned about the pipe, should it have been filled in a specific way?

Sponsored Links
Nothing to be concerned about, all excavated ground shrinks over time, your ground worker doing your re-surfacing should be able to sort it,

Nothing to be concerned about, all excavated ground shrinks over time, your ground worker doing your re-surfacing should be able to sort it,
Thank you, my biggest concern was if any bricks and crap that was put back into the hole would cause any damage to the pipe?

Thank you, my biggest concern was if any bricks and crap that was put back into the hole would cause any damage to the pipe?
when I worked with BG admittedly a long time ago, new PE pipes had I think 150mm of cover using whin dust or sand then warning yellow tape, then if suitable origional backfill added, cant be sure about the 150mm, I cant even remember what I go into the kitchen for these days :LOL:

Sponsored Links
[QUOTE=" I cant even remember what I go into the kitchen for these days :LOL:[/QUOTE]

same problem here, can't remember if they part filled the hole, but they did leave it unfinished. I did it my self in the end after waiting months!

I had a gas leak about 15 years ago, the external supply pipe had rotted. When the gas board replaced it they said someone would come back to repair the driveway slabs and make good the hole. They never did and the hole got filled in with all the ground they had dug out.

I’m now going to have the drive replaced but the ground has sunk, should I be concerned about the pipe, should it have been filled in a specific way?

It does have to be a certain depth for traffic. Do you know how deep it is?

[QUOTE=" I cant even remember what I go into the kitchen for these days :LOL:

same problem here, can't remember if they part filled the hole, but they did leave it unfinished. I did it my self in the end after waiting months![/QUOTE]
Mention it to whoever is doing your ground work, when I was at BG when back filling the backfill was suppeosed to be tamped downe ever so many MM of backfill, but in reality it never was, they reconned that backfill settling was the most expensive cost of the whole business because of settlement, now they say it is 3rd party utility strikes, both way above my pay grade Im afraid, , BG love their numbers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back