Dip on Kitchen Windowsill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a big dip on part of my kitchen windowsill (picture attached) which rings very hollow when you knock on the bit where it dips in middle shown by red arrow. If you look closely and follow the silicone bead you can see how much it dips. There are bricks under the windowsill but between the bricks and the top of the windowsill I am guessing plaster? How would you go about repairing this and any ideas why this has happened? Thank you.

Attachments

• Windowsill.jpeg
    Windowsill.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
OP,
do you intend to tile the backsplash and window sill - after taking out the dip, as steve suggests, you could tile over?

Looks like who ever plastered it made the dip by not being able to plaster it square in other words the float coat is not straight it can be levelled with a bit of plaster

Thanks. Yeh we want to tile eventually but not for a while. Would I hack that bit off back to brick and plaster from there or just plaster over the paint until it is level?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yeh we want to tile eventually but not for a while. Would I hack that bit off back to brick and plaster from there or just plaster over the paint until it is level?
If your going to tile , tile adhesive would fill the dip put some adhesive where the dip is and let it go off a bit then apply adhesive over the whole sill then tile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back