Neat silicone between kitchen worktops?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've butted my kitchen worktops together, they are bolted and glued, with some wood coloured sealant. There is a tiny chamfer, so now there's a very small dip between the worktops as you can see in the photo. This will get dirty and collect stuff over time so I'd like it flush.

I thought I'd just put clear silicone in, but how can I make a very neat bead in that gap? I was considering masking tape either side and then just doing the bead and wiping it off, will this work?

I don't want to be scraping or scratching the worktops at all

Any advice would be great
Thanks
20200723_120656.jpg

Sponsored Links
Oops. Should have taken the chamfer out before you jointed.
Silicon won't do anything useful. I'd suggest 2 part wood filler (same as car body filler but wood coloured)

Oops. Should have taken the chamfer out before you jointed.
Silicon won't do anything useful. I'd suggest 2 part wood filler (same as car body filler but wood coloured)
Thanks, yeah I was debating whether to take the chamfer off, but I only have a circular saw, and I didn't want to risk messing it up with a power plane. It's veneered too. So I chose to leave it! Not sure it was the best idea

Ok a two part filler, I'll look into that

Sponsored Links
That filler may not work well on veneer, it certainly bounces off laminate flooring (very useful mix boards). Try it on some offcuts first....

would have been mint if youd removed the bevel.
any filler you put in there will stand out and or fall out .
i certainly wouldn’t use silicone.
you could use masking tape to mask it really close to the edge and fill it with clear ‘sticks like sh!t’ levelled with a credit card or similar.
providing the levels are perfect.

If you measure the width and depth of the chamfer, you may be able to find a suitable length of square stainless steel bar to fill it in.

Or tape the sides and use some colourfil, but instead of trying to match the colour, go for something to make it stand out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back