Direct Cylinder Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm installing a direct 42x18 cylinder for a friend with a 3kW 27" immersion heater mounted in the top of the cyl.

Will this be enough to heat the majority of the cylinder or will i end up with stratification and not enough hot? Just two elederly people live in the house.

Also, the feed is 28mm and the DHW draw off is 22mm, so do i just need the right size of cylinder union for each, then make them in with Boss / hemp, then make up the pipework connections?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
Could you not fit an E7 direct cylinder with two 11" immersion's in the side, top and bottom?

This would be better for economy and amount of HW.

Yes to your questions about pipe sizes ;)

No point fitting a 42 18 with a 27" Immersion heater. You may as well stick with a 36 18 or go for the E7 as gas4you says.

Don't use boss white and hemp for the cylinder connections as they are not suitable for wholesome water. Use ptfe or loctite 55 and a wras approved jointing paste such as jet blue, slictie etc.

No point fitting a 42 18 with a 27" Immersion heater. You may as well stick with a 36 18 or go for the E7 as gas4you says.

Don't use boss white and hemp for the cylinder connections as they are not suitable for wholesome water. Use ptfe or loctite 55 and a wras approved jointing paste such as jet blue, slictie etc.

who drinks hot water :?: ;)

and the last hank of hemp a took home just sent the dog loopy he is still here tho :LOL: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input guys, really appreciate it.

I've already got the 42 x 18 i'm afraid, but now realise a 36 x 18 would have done considering the length of the immersion heater and how much of the cylinder it will heat.

Should they have enough hot water though with this set up?

Do all immersion heaters have a built in 'stat? Also, do i just put the immersion heater washer in dry or do they need something on the faces of the washer first?

I normally fit bathrooms so i'm a bit green to all this.

Thanks for that, something like Jet Blue Plus?

Also, any feedback on my questions about the 'stat and the quantity of hot water they will have?

Sorry for all the questions, nearly there now and then i'll get back to doing bathrooms.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back