Pipe alignment with hot water cylinder boss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying to install a 35 gallon indirect hot water cyl Telford make). It replaced a 20 gallon one which is too small.

I had to re route the pipe for the boiler feed to the hW cyl as the entry on the cyl was higher up on the cyl than the old one.

I soldered and cut pipes and have the pipe feed pretty well lined up with the entry boss on the cylinder, 28mm pipe into a compression fitting adaptor I bought with the cylinder. This adaptor screws into a boss that is attached to the coil.

The boss is the threaded end of the coil and a nut clamps the boss to the wall of the cylinder.

The problem is that the boss is inclined down and the pipe is horizontal and so the the compression nut of the pipe joint will only screw onto the adaptor when the cylinder is not level and connecting it all up and I get a slow drip from this joint.

The connecting pipe is about 3" long and goes into a T joint, and I have not been able to get any PTFE on the joint because of the small space available.

I am not sure what to do, one thought is to fit a length of pipe onto the adaptor and lift the pipe to alter the angle of the adaptor and so be able to make a good joint.

I am aware that the cylinder wall is pretty thin and that the coil is on the other side.

The other way is more difficult, IE to redo the pipework to get the T angled away from the wall because I have chiseled some of the plaster out already and a 15mm pipe runs up from the T to the expansion tank.

What would an experienced plumber recommend?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the cyl is distorted. You could take it back and demand a correct one .
Me, Id go with the pipe wrench option, but then Im a bit of a chancer

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.
I think what i will do is to put the tank on a level piece of ground and then put a length of pipe in the joint to see how far out it is.
Then I'll talk to the merchant to see what they say..
Its strange I never thought to ask the merchants, thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back