Plumbing & guttering soil boss strap question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

My house is an old style 2 up 2 down with the kitchen and bathroom in a downstairs extension. The 2 sinks and bath waste run along the outside of the house to above a drain at the back of the extension where they empty. Because of this I have 3 sets of pipes running to the same small drain making the back look untidy.

As well as this pipework we also have guttering on the back which runs into a waterbutt which the previous owners had, however the waterbutt easily fills up in next to no time and I spend a lot of time emptying it so it doesn't overfill.

To tidy things up a bit I've been looking into putting 1 or 2 of the pipes into the vertical external soil pipe but have a couple of questions regarding fitting.

First of all, once the boss strap has been fitted, is a rubber adaptor needed to give a waterproof fit? If so will this also allow the waste pipe to go in at an angle and still be watertight?

And secondly, with regards to the guttering, I currently have 68mm which I know they don't do a boss for, however I have been looking at the 50mm miniline instead. Looking online it appears they do 50mm boss straps and adaptors so would these be fine for the miniline guttering?

Sponsored Links
One of these will solve the rainwater butt from having to be emptied manually.

www.waterbuttwarehouse.co.uk/downpipe-connectors

The boss on the soil pipe for waste pipe will allow for a certain degree off horizontal, shouldn't be a problem.

But the idea of putting rainwater down pipe into soil stack is not technically right. The reason being that the rainwater pipe would then act as a vent, smelly sewer gas would then escape at your guttering outlet. Normally the soil pipe extends above guttering level and any usable window, say in roof area, venting safely away. I suspect there other rules and regulations............ :mad:

For what it's worth I cut the soil pipe short just under the gutter and put an outlet in the guttering and dropped a small section of down pipe into the large soil pipe. Works a treat, but totally unacceptable :rolleyes:

If need be use a couple of 45deg bends on the waste(s) to angle correctly into the boss adaptors, the pipes want to go into the boss as straight as possible ideally, otherwise you may find it'll leak. :cry:

The miniline gutter is unlikely to be able to cope with the runoff from a house roof, it's designed for sheds/garages etc. It'll struggle to cope with anything more than a shower, and will block quickly with moss/leaves/etc. If you dont want the water butt, get rid and redirect the downpipe to the gulley. If you wish to keep the water butt, fit an overflow using 32 or 40mm waste pipe.

I'd be wary of hooking the gutter outlet into the soil, you may find your drains then vent into the roofspace..... :oops:

cheers for the replys chaps. Unfortunately I can't use the waterbutt overfill device due to the nature of where it's positioned.

I will take a picture of the area in question so you can see what a mess the pipework is :LOL:

I did think that the miniline may not be able to handle too much rain hence why i thought it would be best to check.

Sponsored Links
Here is a picture of the back of the extension:

DSCF2088.jpg

As you can see in the picture, on the right is the soil pipe along with a pipe that has the bathroom sink and washing machine waste, which is 1 pipe i want to put into the soil pipe.

Then on the left you have the kitchen sink waste, and behind the waterbutt is the bath waste, and then the downpipe to the waterbutt.

Also, the extension is single storey with a flat roof and the soil pipe is angled away from the roof at the top where the vent is, so if I were to put the rain water into that pipe there shouldn't be any problems with smells.

I want to get rid of the waterbutt and put it by the shed so that there is more space and no need for frequent emptying.

I'm not too worried about the kitchen or bath waste as I was thinking of re-piping the bath waste into the pipe of the kitchen sink waste so that it's just 1 pipe, not sure why the previous owners didn't do that in the 1st place.

Bathroom sink/washing machine waste into the stack, no probes. I'd use a couple of 45deg bends to 'dog leg' the pipe so it goes into the boss straight. Kitchen sink and bath waste can combine into one pipe so that tidies that up. Advise caution cutting the existing pipes, the basin/washing machine pipe especially looks like it's suffered from the sunlight which attacks the plastic. (May be prudent to replace it if possible.)

I'd continue the rainwater pipe down, then a bend to take it across to the gulley, I wouldnt attempt to connect it to the stack especially as if I am reading this correctly, its for the extension gutter. It wont comply with Building Regs and is likely to cause an issue with odours. Finally, you can always paint the pipes to match the extension masonry, it'll help with aesthetics and also give the plastics some protection from the UV rays in the sun. (If we ever get any more.....)

Bathroom sink/washing machine waste into the stack, no probes. I'd use a couple of 45deg bends to 'dog leg' the pipe so it goes into the boss straight. Kitchen sink and bath waste can combine into one pipe so that tidies that up. Advise caution cutting the existing pipes, the basin/washing machine pipe especially looks like it's suffered from the sunlight which attacks the plastic. (May be prudent to replace it if possible.)

I'd continue the rainwater pipe down, then a bend to take it across to the gulley, I wouldnt attempt to connect it to the stack especially as if I am reading this correctly, its for the extension gutter. It wont comply with Building Regs and is likely to cause an issue with odours. Finally, you can always paint the pipes to match the extension masonry, it'll help with aesthetics and also give the plastics some protection from the UV rays in the sun. (If we ever get any more.....)

cheers hugh. We are redoing the bathroom and are going to replace the pipework for the bathroom anyway as it's bodged from the previous owners and I know the outside pipe is knackered.

The pipe inside that runs from the washing machine and sink already runs at a slope so would it just be a question of having a straight run outside to the stack?

Need a very slight fall on it, but with the short distance from exiting the wall to the stack then it'll be hardly noticeable. As long as there isnt a backfall or dip where crud can collect.

If replacing with the existing pipework solvent weld waste it's advisable to provide a cleaning eye externally should access be needed for cleaning purposes.

cheers for your help hugh. I will be solvent welding the pipework as the other method of fixing doesn't seem to be very good. With regards to the cleaning eye, I will have a look into it although the length from the washing machine to the back wall is about 5 foot so if i need to unblock it then I can pull the washing machine out and clean from that end.

No worries. Rodding eye probably less than a £, simply fit a Tee outside instead of a 90deg bend. I prefer to fit them outside as makes cleaning easier should need arise. When pipe is half full of black smelly decomposed soap it avoids getting that all over the floor!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back