Leaking strap on boss (marley)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice much sought Gents. I,ve got a leaking bath waste which taps into a 4 inch plastic soil system via a Marley 40mm strap on boss(ie 50mm hole drilled into soil pipe, solvent applied, boss into hole, and a pipe clamp) The leak is between the boss and soil pipe which suggests to me a solvent gap, and though slight it is a leak nevertheless which needs curing. The guilty joint is between the joists underfloor and space is tight so I,d really like to use the existing hole to drain the bath. So, how does one seal this? Can the old boss be removed and replaced with a new one and new solvent applied, or does it need blanking off and a new 50mm hole cut with a new boss. Or is there an easier solution.(Hate to suggest it but mastic???)

Sponsored Links
Just to confirm, you have all plastic, not a plastic pipe running into a cast iron soil..?

Assuming that's the case, it IS possible to get solvent joints apart but can be practically IMpossible. Proper answer is to cut it all out, etc etc.

But I'd try cleaning as best you can when DRY, get some solvent cement (Polypipe do a "gap filling" variety) and smear it generously over all the likely joints. Chances are it'll work, if you give it a few hours to set. There is a cleaning fluid which helps the solvent stick - worth using first.

Chris R, cheers m8 for rapid reply, I confirm it's a 4 inch plastic soil pipe. I'm assuming you mean a generous smear around where the flange meets the 4 inch pipe without prising a gap?

Yes. I doubt you'd be able to prise anything!. But it could well be covered in llimescale where the water's been. Clean all that off - sandpaper would be good.

Sponsored Links
Chris I owe you one mate - followed all your advice, gave the cement 8 hours to be on the safe side, job done! Thanks a million.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back