Replace boss trv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a new radiator to replace a 30 year old one. I'm organised to change the trv bur the old one on the pipe is a Honeywell(boss) type with a male screw thread which fits on pipe first and then screws into a female in the main body of the trv. Similar to current partnumber49341059 (boss)

My new trv has a union style compression joint.

Will all of the old trv fastening come directly off the 15mm feed pipe or will I need to cut the pipe for a new start?

Alternatively is there a screwfix connector which will connect to the residual thread

Sponsored Links
The question has to be asked, so it might as well be by me.
Why have you bought a valve not entirely suitable for the job when the correct item is available?

The best solution if you want to use the new valve is to cut back the pipework and put in a fresh piece of pipe to connect the valve to.

The best solution outright would be to buy a Boss TRV as it will fit onto the existing connection.

Because the rad came with the trv and has a 'normal' 15mm union connection. Whereas the old trv has a larger inch fitting. I did say at start that old kit is 30 years old. !

Sponsored Links
30 years or 30 weeks, makes no odds. (I did read it in the OP, so no need for the exclamation mark when re-iterating it.) The valve and equivalents are still available. Your options are as I stated above. New valve or new piece of pipe :!:

Sorry wasn't being sarcastic. Been out to plumbers supplier who sold me a Honeywell trv which was supposed to have correct fitting. Except that it dont it's still has union style. New pipe it will have to be the

What you are after is classed more as a commercial valve. No idea why. You won't find many places keeping them on the shelf. The world and his wife will keep the standard, capnut type of compression TRVs on the shelf.

Nearest place you might get one off the shelf, off the top of my head, Collister and Glover, Deeside. (Pegler Belmont) Not what you'd call close to Anglesey.
http://www.colglo.co.uk/product.php?product=PEGLP0520

Huws Gray could possibly order one in, or you might be able to order online.

Probably easier to put in a new piece of pipe. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back